s. 3 ep. 9 Whatever It Takes

"Oh, now the helicopters show up! Great fucking job guys!" I shouted.

"Yes, yes, yes! We are saved!" Kenji shouted, and ran for the helm

"Are we?" Darius asked

"No, we're not. Someone stop him!" I said

We hurried after him, scaling the ladder and barging into the control room. I pulled the throttle back while Darius tried to talk Kenji off the wheel.

"I'm not exactly getting good guy vibes, Kenj'." He said.

"Yeah, unmarked chopper, big, scary guns..." Yaz said

"Oh, I'm sorry, what would you bring to rescue kids from an island full of killer dinosaurs? Cake?" Kenji asked

"He's got a point," Ben admitted.

"Yeah, and I got a better one. They obviously aren't here to rescue us. They're ordering us around instead of saying, 'Hey, we're the American government here to rescue you.'" I said

"He's also got a point," Ben said.

A loud clap of thunder and a flash of lightning in front of us caused us to jump. I looked around at the others with a grimace.

"The sea is pretty rough," Sammy said.

Darius took a moment to think, weighing the options, then spoke, "All right, then. We take our chances with the people in the helicopter?" He asked

I sighed then nodded with everyone else.

"We are so fucked." I said.

Kenji did a little shrug then engaged the throttle. We quickly returned to the dock where me and Brooklynn jumped ashore to tie us off. I looked over at what she was doing and recognized her knots as the ones from earlier.

"Why are you tying it like that?" I asked

"It's a knot I learned to tie in my 'Brooklynn Unboxes Deep Sea Fishing' video," she replied

"How the hell am I supposed to untie it though? Last time when the Scorpios was on my ass I had to cut it loose."

"Like this." She said, pulling one part of the knot, causing the whole thing to come loose. She smirked at me, very proud of herself.

I rolled my eyes and continued tying off my knot.

Brooklynn retied hers then scooted up next to me and helped me with mine.

"Here, let me see." She said.

I took my hands off the knot and let her work, but I didn't step away. I just watched as she tied the rope with precision, our arms touching. 

"Pull on it." She requested.

I pulled on part of the rope. It didn't budge.

"Good. All done." She said, but she didn't move away. She just looked up at me and smiled.

I returned the smile and for a moment I forgot my problems, the urgency I felt to get home melted away, even the fact that a bunch of scary adults in helicopters were now on the island seemed to slip my mind. It was nice. Just me and her. The sound of helicopter blades over our heads broke the moment. We stepped away from each other and looked up as the back chopper swooped over us and touched down in the shipyard. The six of us hurried up the dock towards them. We saw the door slide open and a man wearing kevlar and holding a rifle stepped out.

"What are you kid doing out here?" The man asked as he gave Ben a hand climbing into the chopper.

"Long story! Too long!" Sammy said as she climbed in.