s. 2 ep. 2 The Art of Chill

It was nice up in the trees. A little bit of calm in the eye of the hurricane. Note: Not intentionally a Hamilton reference. I'm not that much of a nerd. I could see using a pair of binoculars a variety of dinosaurs from the docks to the lab. But there was nowhere good to set up a home base.

"Anything?" Brooklynn called from down below.

"Nah," I called back and began my descent.

Kenji was throwing rocks boardly at the tree I was in and one hit me in the leg.

"Bro, stop throwing shit," I said annoyed.

He ignored me until Yaz got fed up, caught the next rock he threw, and gave him a death glare.

He dropped his next rock without hesitation.

"Good news?" Sammy asked as Darius climbed down from his tree.

As we walked over to him to hear his findings Yaz fell and I moved quickly to catch her.

"You good?" I asked

"Yep!" She said in a higher pitch than usual.

I leaned her against a tree and then tuned in.

"The pteranodons are nesting on the eastern mountains, so that's out," Darius said.

"Docks are no bueno either." I added "Full of dinos."

"So, we can't stay on Main Street because dinosaurs. The mountains, grasslands, and jungle are out because dinosaurs." Brooklynn recapped so the audience knew that time had passed.

"And Kenji's penthouse is out because he's bad at math," Yaz said.

"Oooooooo. Gottem." I said

"Hey! I didn't think my dad was serious about changing the locks if I failed algebra. That is not my fault." Kenji said

"That's actually completely your fault," Yaz said.

"And also how do you fail algebra? That shit ain't that hard." I added.

"Okay, well, whatever. The whole island is full of dinosaurs. We're cooked." He said.

"We can't give up yet." Sammy said, "We set off the emergency beacon. We just need to find somewhere safe to hole up until rescue arrives."

"Where? It's been days. We're out of options." Yaz asked

"Hey, guys?" I asked. They all turned to me. "We could always just, you know, go back to camp."

They all looked at each other.

TIMESKIP

"Didn't we specifically run away from here?" Kenji asked as we walked through the rubble of the camp.

"We got a stream for freshwater, tall redwoods surrounding us to protect from weather and dino attacks..." I started.

Brooklynn cleared her throat and gestured to all the rubble.

"Ok, not all dino attacks. But still, materials to build a shelter, our bags are probably buried under here somewhere so we can get clothes and toothbrushes and shit."

"And," Darius said, speaking up. "If you were coming to rescue a bunch of campers, wouldn't camp be the first place you looked?"

"Exactly," I said.

"A lot of the stuff to build a shelter is broken." Yaz pointed out.

"We can make it work. Right, Brooklynn?" Darius said