s. 3 ep. 4 Clever Girl

POV: (y/n)

There we stood, on the dock, armed with an old lunch tray and some sealant. Yaz and Brooklynn held up the tray against the hole in the hull while Darius lined it with the sealant, making the ship seaworthy once again.

"It ain't pretty, but it should be watertight," Brooklynn said

I nodded but didn't look at her. After last night it felt too awkward. I squatted next to Darius, making sure he was applying the sealant properly. "Go over that spot again," I mumbled

"Ok." He replied.

Once we were satisfied Brooklynn and Yaz released the tray and we all stood back. For a tense moment, we all wanted the tray, expecting it to fall off, but it held.

Brooklynn let out a sigh of relief.

I glanced at her but quickly looked away before she could catch my eye. What the hell am I doing? I thought

"Dope. Let's leave already." Kenji said.

"Oh, my gosh, I can't believe it's really happening!" Sammy said, shaking Kenji by the shoulders.

"Buh-bye, Isla Nublar!" Brooklynn said

"We are out of here!" Yaz cheered.

"Suck it, ya stupid death trap!" I added.

"Hey, hold up, guys." Darius said and we all turned, "It says here we have to wait 48 hours for it to set."

Brooklynn groaned.

"Really?" Said, Sammy

"Come the fuck on," I muttered.

"They have to say that for insurance and junk." Kenji said, stepping forward and knocking on the tray a couple times, "As your captain,"

"In the words of Roxie, 'still not a thing'" I interrupted,

"I pronounce this vessel seaworth-"

The tray fell off the side of the boat.

We all deadpanned.

I stepped forward, reached down, picked up the tray, looked at it, looked at Kenji, who was giving a guilty smile, and twonked him on the head with it. "Dumbass," I said

"Ow." He complained, rubbing his head, "I've got some captainy stuff to do over there." He said and shuffled away.

Darius sighed, "One more time." He said

Brooklynn shook her head and I handed her the tray. Our eyes met for a moment but we quickly looked away, embarrassed.

Brooklynn held the tray up while Darius worked the sealant until Sammy interrupted.

"Hey, uh, Brooklynn, can I talk to you a sec?" She asked awkwardly.

"Uh... Kind of bust right now, but-" She started.

"I need your help with something personal," Sammy said

Brooklynn stood and let the tray fall, "Spill everything." She said, pulling Sammy away.

I threw my hand in the air with a 'really?' expression, "Girls." I muttered.

"What was that?" Yaz asked, appearing behind me.

"Nothing! Nothing at all. Ha ha... Nothing." I said crouching down and helping Darius.

After finishing with Darius, me and Yaz were left alone on the dock.

"Speaking of personal shit." I said, "I... I need your help with something."

"Uh-huh?" she replied.

"Well... I know I asked you and Sammy to stay out of it, but, and I can't believe I'm saying this after trying to get you and B not to fight for the better half of our time here, you seem to be the sanest person right now and I need someone to talk to about Brooklynn. Any chance I can get some Yaz therapy?"