chapter 40

mikey pov
"yessir!" zeke yells as he runs down the court beside me.

we're playing in the championships.

the start of the game was good. we were going back and fourth up until the end of the third, then we pulled away from redwood. they're a really good team. i see why they got as far as they did.

the score is 93-72. my ankle started throbbing during the second quarter, so i told coach and he took me out. i went to the locker room to get my ankle examined. the trainer said i only irritated it. i sat the third quarter out so i could ice my ankle.

coach put me back in the game at the start of the fourth. the team was dominating while i was out which is why this game is definitely in the bag.

(after the game)
"i'm so proud of you mike." mom says. she squeezes me tight.

"thanks mom." i reply.

"good job today son." dad says. he slaps my back.

"thanks dad." i gulp. i walk past samila and tom and pull kiara in my arms lifting her just above the floor.

"you did so good today." she says.

"thank you." i smile into her shoulder. i set her back on the ground.

i pull her into me and kiss her softly. she pulls me closer by wrapping her arms around my neck. i smile as i melt into the kiss.

we're pulled apart by isaiah. "that's enough mikey." isaiah says.

i roll my eyes at him. i wrap my arm around kiara's waist, pulling her body against mine.

"good job today mikey." aliana says with a smile.

"thank you." i smile back.

"good game mike." samila says.

"thanks samila." i reply.

"ali!" zeke exclaims.

"zee!" aliana screams. they run into each other's arms.

"that's some romcom ass shit right there." kiara says. i chuckle.

"did she say zee?" samila questions.

"yes. she did." kiara sighs.

"you did so good today." aliana smiles as she pulls away from their hug.

"thank you." zeke nods with a smile. "oh, mike. the team wants to know where we're going to eat." zeke says.

"where y'all wanna go?" i ask turning to kiara and aliana.

"sidelines." aliana says.

"what you know about sidelines?" zeke asks turning to aliana.

"i know about sidelines." aliana smiles.

"ok. i guess we're going to sidelines." zeke says.