chapter 21

mikey pov (December 16, 2022)
last night was bad for me. i had a total breakdown. i've never had a breakdown before. i never thought i would. i never thought anything would make me feel as sad and hurt as kiara did. i hate that i still love her, but i can't help it. maliki helped me see that it's ok to be sad. it's ok to be hurt. i know that now.

samila makes an appearance for the first time today by walking downstairs. maliki and i look up at her from the small tv in the kitchen. 

"guys, i'll be gone for a while." samila says walking into the kitchen with us.

"where you going?" maliki asks.

"don't worry about it." she rolls her eyes at him. she grabs her keys off the key holder beside the door.

"samila. where are you going?" i ask.

"don't wait up." she quickly leaves the house.

"what the hell is her problem?" maliki asks.

i roll my eyes with a sigh.

kiara pov
"you sure it's ok if tobiah comes with us? i know you're not his biggest fan." i ask trailing behind dad.

he stops in his tracks and turns to face me. "it's ok. i promise, kiara. he's your brother. you know i'd do anything for you. you're my princess." he kisses my forehead softly. "ok?"

"ok." i nod my head. i turn and leave his room.

he totally hates this. i know it.

i walk back downstairs.

"what'd he say?" tobiah asks.

"he said it's fine." i reply.

"yes." tobiah beams as he fist bumps the air.

"you're such a kid." aliana smiles grabbing chips from the pantry.

"i'm taking that as a compliment." tobiah replies.

isaiah and uriah walk into the kitchen.

"did dad agree to it?" isaiah asks.

"yea he did." i reply.

"shocking as hell." uriah says.

the doorbell rings.

"it's open!" i yell.

rose walks through the door. she smiles as she sees all of us.

"hey guys. who's ready to meet megan rapinoe?" she smiles excitedly.

"you are." isaiah excites sarcastically.

"shut up isaiah." rose rolls her eyes at him.

"we're just waiting on dad right now. he should be down in a second." i say as rose walks up to me. she hugs me tightly. "by the way, this is tobiah. he's my brother."

"nice to meet you, tobiah." rose says suspiciously as she shakes his hand.

"nice to meet you too rose." tobiah smiles.