chapter 24

mikey pov
laughter echos from downstairs. kiara's laugh stands out from samila and my moms laughs. i sigh.

why the hell am i moping in my room while the girl i love is downstairs?

i just can't bring myself to go down there. i can't bring myself to face her. how can i ever trust her after what she did to me? how can i look her in the eye again?

i guess i don't. i don't trust her again. i can't look her in the eye. i can't hurt myself like that.

"mike." my dad says. i look toward my door to see him standing there. he's angry. like really angry.

"yea?" i answer.

"you know your ex is here?" he asks.

"who?" i ask, acting clueless.

"kiara." he states.

i fake a confused reaction.

samila pov
mom follows dad upstairs.

"kiara." maliki says excitedly. he walks up to her and pulls her into a hug, completely ignoring me. "how you been?"

"good. i've been good." kiara says with a smile. "i didn't know you were back already."

"yea i got back yesterday. i'm just staying for a few days though." maliki replies. "you know if aliana is doing anything tomorrow?"

"we were gonna watch movies all day but i'm sure she won't mind hanging with you." kiara smiles.

"good. don't tell her i'm coming." he says pointing to kiara sternly.

"i won't." kiara replies. 

mom and dad walk back downstairs.

"you need to leave." dad says. mom stands in front of him.

"marcus."

"no. she needs to go." dad repeats. mom glances back at kiara.

"i asked her to come. she's here because i want her here. you do not dictate whether she stays or goes when she's mine and samila's company." mom says sternly.

"no. it's ok. i'll go." kiara grabs her phone and keys off the kitchen island. "thank you for talking to me about my brother simone and thank you for cooking for me. thanks for inviting me too, samila. i had fun. i'll see you guys around." she smiles before heading out the front door. she closes the door behind her. as soon as the door closes, the sound of yelling fills my ears.

"what the hell is wrong with you marcus?" mom yells. i'm almost sure kiara can still hear her from the other side of the door. i sigh.

mikey walks downstairs.

"kiara was really here?" he asks, interrupting mom and dad's yelling.

"yes mike. she was here." mom says.

mikey walks to the front door. he opens it. the sound of a car engine roaring down the road fills my left ear. he slams the door closed and turns around to look at us.