chapter 38

mikey pov
"samila?" i call.

"yea?" she answers.

"can you come here for a minute? i wanna talk." i say.

she grabs her shoe and stands from the couch. she walks into the kitchen with me.

"what's up?" she asks. she sits on a bar stool at the island. she ties the laces on the shoe that's on her foot.

"i just wanted to say i'm sorry. i should've been more supportive of you and tom. i think i would've been more supportive if you had told me from the start instead of hiding it from me." i explain.

"its fine, mike. really. you're right. we just didn't know how you would react." she says. i watch as she puts the other shoe on her foot

"i understand." i nod.

silence fills the air.

"so did kiara put you up to this?" she asks with a sly smile.

"yea. she made me realize how stupid i was being." i reply.

"well, i'm glad she talked to you about it. i'm tired of arguing with you." she says. she stands from the bar stool. she walks around the island. she opens the fridge. "how's your ankle?"

"it's fine." i answer.

"ok, now tell me the truth." she says. she turns to me with a water bottle in her hand as she closes the fridge.

"it still hurts." i groan.

"you tell mom?" she asks.

"no. if mom finds out, she ain't gon' let me play next week." i reply.

"mike. if you play while you're still hurt, your injury could get even worse." she states.

"i know that samila, but i can't miss this game. it's the championship."

"i know that, mikey, but that's why you have teammates. you act like your team can't win on their own."

"i never said that, samila." i sigh.

"mom's not gonna let you play next week anyway."

"mom's not gonna find out."

"aight. suit yourself. i'm just trying to help. i know auburn hasn't offered you a scholarship yet but if you keep acting like this, you're gonna mess up your ankle and you won't get an offer." she turns on her heel and walks back into the living room.

i scoff and go upstairs.

"mom! i'm heading out to meet tom!" samila yells from downstairs.

"ok! have fun!" mom yells back.

i pull out my phone to call kiara. she picks up after the second ring.

"hey mike." she says.

"hey. when are you coming over?" i ask.

"i just got back from soccer workouts so i'll be there in about 2 hours." she answers.

"just come over. you can take a shower over here." i say.