52. Bubbles or Bath Salts

"How exactly did you swing it so that you could take Katerina as your date to the ball?" Eros asked in between bites of Paella Valenciana

It was the day before the ball, and after we had landed, we went straight into mafia mode. Going over our plans almost a million times, lead us to all of us prepping our individual mafias until we were satisfied.

Sending our men and women away to enjoy some relaxation before the ball started, Alina thought it would be good for her Hans, Matteo, Lucca, Jeffry, Eros, Konsy and I to enjoy an authentic Spanish lunch at one of those mom-and-pop restaurants.

We had extended the offer to Hans and Jeffry's second in command, but we think they're more interested in eating each other than Spanish food.

"Ugh that egotistical prick, I told him someone should get into her pants before we kill her," Enzo grunted with clenched fists.

Before we came to the restaurant, Enzo had called the Spanish temporary don. Who couldn't help but brag about how he was going to take down 3 of the top 4 mafias in the world.

After about 20 minutes of listening to him hype himself up, Enzo finally shut him up by asking if he knew if I had landed.

After that he had explained that he was going to ask me to be his date for the ball, "she's a sweet little thing. I just don't think it would be a good idea to let her die without some sweet loving." I almost threw up on the spot just from hearing Enzo say that.

"He of course, loved that idea and then gave me more motivation to kill him by adding he'll have his fun when she's dead." Enzo sneered, putting my hand on his wrist, he unclenched his grip on the fork in his fist slightly.

Thank God he was about to break it.

"I see why girls say all men now," Hans muttered with an uneasy look on his face, which earned him nods in agreement from all the men at the table.

"Enzo's right though he just gave us more reason to kill him," Konsy explained while taking a few sips of his sangria.

Finishing the last few bites of my Albondigas, I can't help but look around the restaurant table and smile.

I'm surrounded by the most powerful, wealthy, and feared people in the world, but you wouldn't know it. Right now, we're just a typically dysfunctional family- it took me a minute, but these people are my family.

Tomorrow night, my family is going into a mission tomorrow for me, and not everyone will come back.

It's absolutely heart shattering, and it's too easy to say everyone will come back but we have to face the reality that some people are going to die.

And the hard truth is that there's a chance that no one from this table will be alive come tomorrow night.

Pulling me out of my thoughts, Enzo's large hand finds its way to the middle of my thigh. Almost like he could hear my thoughts he leaned it to me, "stop thinking so negative we're all going to be ok."