Chapter 19

1 Year Later...

A lot has happened in the year since Optimus left with Lennox to go on their missions across the globe to take out rogue decepticons. Saphira moved into her new rental a couple days after they had left. It was a nice, two-story house on a ten acre property with a large garage, and a large equipment shed that would normally house farming equipment such as tractors. It wasn't the newest house, but it had a renovated kitchen and bathroom so it suited Saphira just fine. She was happier to have a bigger house, and she began to call it home after a few months, mostly because she had found herself enjoying another activity. Permaculture.

Saphira was now growing her own vegetables, herbs, spices and some fruit. She found she really enjoyed it, plus Bumblebee was able to see how some of the food humans eat grow from a tiny seed to something spectacular. It helped a lot with her food bill at the end of the month, and being able to eat something that was fresher and tasted better than what is sold at the supermarkets just was satisfying. Especially as she learned how to preserve her produce, which took a little while for her to learn.

Of course, Saphira still went to race meets, that did not stop. Bumblebee has protested multiple times about that, but he quickly learned she would not listen to him as much as it disappointed him. Nonetheless, Saphira brought home more than enough money to support herself and she wouldn't need to apply for scholarships or financial aid for college. There were not many seventeen-year-olds who could say that. She had already applied for a college and she had been accepted at Princeton University in New Jersey, which was on the other side of the country. She knew going into college right after school wasn't always something people did, but she had no intention of taking a gap year. Plus, she knew one of the properties her grandfather owned before he died was there, so she planned to live in that after the first year of college. That way she won't have to pay for a room.

It is a few days before the graduation ceremony, all the big exams and assignments are all done and dusted forever now. Saphira had prepared her speech, as she had predicted, she would be the valedictorian this year and she was really happy about it. She sent Lennox a text a few months ago about the date for the graduation, he responded letting her know they would be there. She sent him a text a week ago to confirm if he and Optimus would be there, along with the new autobots who have arrived. There was no response. It filled Saphira with dread because she worried they won't make it in time.

Today, she was in the garden harvesting carrots, lettuce, beetroot, peas, radishes and sweet potatoes with Bee. She felt a little bad she would need to abandon the garden once she went to college, but she would get back into this lifestyle easily. Plus, she had won three other cars from pink slips, she did not sell the four cars she already had. A rusty, orange, 1969 Dodge Daytona, a black 1978 Pontiac Firebird and 2005 Mazda MX-5, which is the newest car she owns now. These three cars have already been through a repaint, their engines being fixed or tinkered with and given custom spoilers, hoods and vinyls, Saphira knew she would have to sell them or take them with her to New Jersey when goes to college.

"This is a nice harvest," Bee comments, pulling out several daikon radishes from the soil and eyeing them off with a smile on his face. He placed them in a basket with the purple carrots Saphira had pulled out earlier. "Too bad you only got to this house last year, we could have had many harvests if you applied here earlier."

"Yeah, but nothing is settled Bee," Saphira responded, she was holding a bowl picking peas off the vine and filling it. "Besides, I'll be pulling these garden beds out in a month or two so the place looks nice when I leave."

"Is it really necessary to go to college right after school?" Bee asked curiously as he pulled out more radishes, shaking off the dirt gently and placing them into the basket.