Chapter 10: Doubts

Connor's POV:

I wake up next to Jude and his head his buried into my shoulder. My dad had let me sleep over the night before but "no funny business." I laugh at the words. I knew what they meant by funny business but we weren't ready for that. At least not yet. I sigh and rake my fingers through his smooth hair. Jude stirs and I kiss his forehead.

"Good Morning, Juju!"

He smiles and leans into me more and closes his eyes once more before opening them several moments later.

"Morning," He breathes out. "What time is it?"

I dig out my phone and check the time.

"9:45am." I reply, looking down at my phone noticing I had a text message from Tyler.

"I'm gonna shower. I'll be back in a bit." Jude says as he gets up and grabs some clothes and heads to the bathroom.

I sigh and open the text message from Tyler.

T: Call me, Urgent!!

I press call on the dialpad and the phone rings. Tyler picks up after the third ring.

"What's up?"

Tyler sighs into the phone and I know something's wrong.

"What's going on?" I ask as fear creeps into me.

"You tell me."

"What do you mean?"

My phone beeps and I look at it and its a picture message from Tyler. It's of me and Jude at the bowling alley. My left hand wrapped around his waist while my right hand was guiding him on how to release the ball. Jude was looking up at me lovingly and our eyes were locked onto one another. It was a cute picture but who took it and how did Tyler get it. I put the phone back up to my ear.

"Tell me this picture was taken out of context and its not what it looks like? Or are you seriously gay?"

I was utterly speechless, I had no idea what to say to get out of this. Yes, I was ready to come out, but not this way. I wanted for me and Jude to face it together.

"I was just teaching him how to bowl." I reply, before I could stop myself.

"Good, do you know this has been spread to everyone? Do you know how bad this is? You will never see the end of it. You need to stop seeing Jude or things are gonna get much worse for you."

"I don't care about that, he's my best friend."

"And we're your team. Do you really think the team would want you to stay on the team if they think you're gay?"

I pause.

"What if I was?"

"Don't joke with me right now. This is serious."

"I'm not joking."

He sucks in a deep breath.

"Well for your sake, I hope you're not." He says and hangs up.

I drop the phone and I can't breathe. What did he mean by that. It scared me to the core. I don't want for Jude to go through this again or myself. I'm done hiding. I just want everything to be okay. I have to protect Jude. The only way to do that is hide our relationship. How do I deal with this? I question myself as I fall onto Jude's bed.

Jude emerges from the bathroom ten minutes later. He plops down on the bed and kisses my cheek. I force a smile.

"So what do you want to do today?" Jude asks me enthusiastically.