Chapter 64.) Call My Bluff

It began as a hum in the air. The morning started beautiful with a sky full of a karmic blue. But the once warm weather and clear skies, filled with fluffy clouds that had no issues with smothering the sun. The first droplet of moisture fell from the leaves. It started as light pecks before the rainfall came crashing down like a busted fire hydrant. 

The thunder shortly followed as well as the howls of the intense winds. So much rain was falling. People were seeking shelter. Drivers were increasing speed on the sleek roads instead of reducing it as the news reports considered this a severe thunderstorm. 

Nature was a bit angry this week. Maybe it was due to the loss of another unarmed Black man. Perhaps it was due to another cop getting a slap on the wrist. Or maybe the world needed a cleanse. Whatever the reason, the storm seemed to turn into public enemy number one, as the winds blew and destroyed anything in sight. Civilians under a buck-twenty-five were fighting to keep their feet planted on the cement.

For Emori, she had a fight to pick with the big man in the sky. Of all the days, her car battery decided to give out on her twenty minutes from the shop. Indya wasn't answering her calls, Emori knew that was because she was still asleep and today was her off-day. The crew knew that during Indya's off days, she was dead to the world. Sending a 911 into the crew's group chat, Emori had hoped that someone would have replied but nope, it was crickets. She tried her luck again by telling them her battery died but still got no response.

Who was she to complain? Sure she assumed everyone was friends outside of work but maybe it was just a work thing.

"Lorddddd!" she screamed when the wind whisked away her umbrella. "Seriously?!" she screamed to the gloomy sky before slamming her hood down.

Marching back toward the driver's side, she plopped into the seat and slammed the door closed just as her phone began ringing. Staring at Jaheem's name, she pondered on answering. Deciding not to, she tossed her phone to the side and watched the rain decorate her windshield.

"Out of all the damn days," she grumbled then groaned when her phone rang again.

Sighing, she reached over and stared at Jaheem's name again before answering, "Hey, I'm fine now."

"You sent two texts to tha' group chat... where you at?"

"You could have at least replied," she scrunched her face up as she grabbed her tote and jacket before exiting the car.

"When do I ever respond in dat chat?"

Emori pursed her lips, "I forgot... thanks for calling, I got help," before he could reply, she hung up.

Swallowing her pride, she began her journey to the shop. The twenty-minute drive turned into a forty-minute walk with the pace she was going. She was drenched, smelled like rain, and outside and fuming.

Jaheem was backing into the parking space right as she reached the door. "Great," she huffed.

"Yo?" confused as hell, Jaheem exited his truck and made his way toward her, "What tha' fu- you said you had a ride, why'd you lie?"

"Don't start Jah... can you just open the door?"

Deciding to leave it alone, Jaheem unlocked the door and pushed it open before ushering her inside.

Cutting the lights on, he removed his hoodie and followed Emori toward the back. "Em?"

"I'm fine," she avoided looking at him before disappearing into the restroom.

Shaking his head, Jaheem went on about his business and set up his station.

Emori stormed past his room a few times before he got tired of it and met her in the hallway, "Do you need to take a personal day?"