Chapter 14.) Scream

Hearing the front door close, followed by Ace's excited barking, Ava woke from her unexpected slumber. One moment she was watching tv with Assyria and the next she was watching her eyelids. The clock read 7:30. Sitting up, she massaged the back of her neck and looked around.

Assyria was gone.

Grabbing her phone, she went to call Assyria until she noticed her phone and a note on the table.

"Ava, you eat?"

"Un-huh," she mumbled, picking up the note.

Hey... thanks for today. It was nice talking to you. I had to leave. You'll see me around eventually. I gotta figure things out on my own. I left my phone, I'm sure Dad has a tracker in it. Don't worry about me, I'm ok. Tell Luck thanks for talking with me when I needed a friend. He's pretty awesome. Congrats on the engagement, see you later.

-Sy

"Ava!"

Jumping, Ava looked at Lucky wide-eyed, "What'd I do?"

Creasing his brows, Lucky eyed her before taking the note and reading it aloud. When he finished, his face frowned up.

What the hell going on with everyone? He stared at the note again.

"What does it mean? She ran away right?" Ava asked, her voice trembling. "That's what it means, right?"

"Sit down," he said.

"Is it?!" She cried. "What does she mean?! What did she tell you?!"

"Calm down," he grabbed her hands when she grabbed his hoodie. "Sit and breathe yo, you fucking pregnant."

"Don't cuss at me!" she burst into tears.

"Baby," he sighed, putting the note down before pulling her into him. "I'm sorry, I had a long day ma... my bad."

"My sister is gone!" She cried harder.

"She's asking for space Ava, chill out ma. For real,"

"She's gone..." she sat down, "What did I do?"

"Nothin," he sat beside her and moved Ace when he hopped onto the sofa. "Look... tha' last time we spoke, she just said she hated how everyone was treating her. She never went into details, I told you about dat. I don't know what else she's been going through but if she's asking for space, give it to her."

"There was a car..." her voice grew faint.

Lucky knitted his brows. "What you mean?"

"Today," she wiped her face. "She seemed so lost... spaced out,"

Lucky nodded for her to continue.

"I tried to ask about tha' breakdown but she didn't say much. She was moving... I don't know," she huffed.

"Breathe," he said.

"I was leaving and she was just standing there looking around. Like she didn't know what to do. And then... this car pulled up."

"Ok," he nodded.

"I couldn't see much, the windows were tinted and then the person rolled tha' window down like maybe two inches."

"Face?"

She shook her head, "Just a hand. At first, she stood there then tried to move but I stopped her."

"You get tha' plate?"

"I wasn't thinking," she covered her face. "I just... there was just something telling me to take her so I did. But then... we got here and we talked. Then... I guess I fell asleep and she left."