Chapter 42.) Figuring it Out

"So... let's discuss your father," Elise said to Lucky. It was August the 9th, a few days until Renae's birthday. The pair was back to their regular schedule but the topic of the session was not flying with Lucky.

"Hard pass," he casually replied.

Sighing, Elise leaned forward and removed her glasses, "I can't help you if you're holding out on me."

"Ain't shit to say. I 'ont know tha' clown, simple."

"Well..." she furrowed her brows, "have you ever tried to find him or ask about him?"

Lucky chuckled dryly, "What I look like asking 'bout a grown man dat knew he had a kid? He left, what you want me to say? I'm sad? I'm hurt? 'Cause I ain't."

"But you are."

"Doc," he leaned into the cushion and lowered his head, "You cool and all but don't try to read me. I 'ont feel nuffin' bout some goofy ass nigga dat I never met. You want to spend two hours tawkin' 'bout a nigga dat left ten minutes after I was born? You serious?"

Elise's ears twitched at the heavy accent. He wasn't from Virginia, that was quite obvious but he also from the south. "Where are you from?" She decided to ask.

"Now you asking Fed questions," standing, he left out before she could stop him.

"Oh Lord," she stood, "I'll be back," she told Ava.

Ava just nodded.

She already knew things would get intense today and tried to warn Elise but nobody ever seemed to listen to her. Shaking her head, Ava picked up a jolly rancher from the jar and popped it into her mouth and hummed to herself. Ten minutes gone by and she was unraveling another jolly rancher just as Elise and Lucky returned. She was shocked.

"I'm sorry," Elise repeated for the third time once Lucky sat down.

Lucky nodded.

"Ok..." she exhaled then glanced at Ava, hoping things would be better with her, "Can we discuss your father?"

Ava shrugged, "Nothing much to say, but sure," she sat up.

"I guess I'll start with the basics, is he active in your life?" Elise queried.

"Yup," she smiled.

"Has he gave you a reason to disown him?"

"Uh, no."

"But he left a few times, correct?"

"He didn't really have a choice," Ava mumbled.

"But that must've been difficult for you? While dealing with your mom, no?"

Ava shook her head, "It didn't bother me. Everyone always wanted to be mad at him for everything and he didn't do anything wrong. One thing he shouldn't have done but still, she pushed him away. Maybe two things..."

Elise stared at her, "Two?"

"Well... he cheated."

"Oh?" Elise placed on her glasses, "How'd that make you feel?"

"I tried to understand his reasoning behind it... I was disappointed for a while but I weirdly understood it."

Elise was stunned, "Um... elaborate."

"Cheating is wrong, I'm sure we all know dat but with everything he had to deal with for yearsss, I was just like... it was a matter of time."

Elise glanced at Lucky and could see he was trying to understand her logic as well. "So... you condoned what he did?"