21

The next two days pass by almost to jiffy for Zahra'u, doctor ziyad is nice but she make sure to keep a safe distance and always make there conversation short, it's a Sunday evening she's washing her daughter's clothes in front of her apartment when the familiar black SUV drive inside the house, Aliya left earlier with Hashim and mama for a stroll, she squeeze the last clothe in the water and soak the few remaining clothes with a sigh, she never understand how her daughter's clothes is much than hers.

"Hey." Ziyad say from his apartment porch and Zahra'u look up.

"Hi." She say and continue washing the clothes.

For ziyad, Zahra'u is the perfect girl he's been waiting for all his life,
Her humbleness and independency is something he respect her a lot for,
How she easily care for others in the hospital and smile, saying all sort of comforting words to people she notice having a rough day is what got his attention.

"Where's mamah?" He ask unlocking his door and Zahra'u glance at him.

"She went out." Zahra'u say with a sigh and stand up to fetch some water from the nearby tap.

"I can help you if you want do." Ziyad say with a smile as Zahra'u turn on the tap.

Zahra'u knows ziyad is trying way to hard to be friend with her but as nice as he seems she knows to maintain her place, there are stupid rumors around the hospital already saying she's trying to hard to be close to him.

"Zahra'u." Ziyad call staring at her as she walk back with the bucket of water and continue with her washing.

"I just want us to be friends nothing else " atleast for now."ziyad say now sitting in front of his porch.

Zahra'u shake her head with a sigh, she doesn't want to complicater her life as it is now, she's not a small girl and she knows when a guy is interested in a girl, ziyad look way above her league and she isn't even ready for relationship now, Bashir is still freshly in her memory.

"Ziyad we are friends already,
beside you are a doctor and I'm a cleaner in the hospital let's not complicate things here, I just got this job and it really means a lot to me i don't want much attention to be drawn to me." Zahra'u say truthfully because she will rather make things clear with ziyad than giving him a nonexistent hope.

"Just friends."ziyad say with a smile as he stare at her admiringly.

" yes just friends ziyad."Zahra'u say squeezing the clothe and putting it in the empty bucket next to her.

They start making small conversation mostly ziyad doing the talking because Zahra'u doesn't have much to say, she doesn't want to discuss about her past with anyone, her past is where she left it she's here to create a new life for herself, after what seems like forever Aliya and hashim comes back with mamah nearly maghrib time, ziyad takes that as he cue to leave so he enter his apartment leaving the three talking as lousy as always.

"Wai nikam meye tsakaninki da wanan mutumin,
He seem a little creepy to me." Aliya say the next morning as Zahra'u get ready for work.

"We just work in thesame place nothing else." Zahra'u say reassuringly as aliya nod.

"Becareful, not everyone looking all nice are trustworthy, trust me this type of men just stay clear away from them, but maybe he's different." Aliya say and Zahra'u nod putting her uniform inside the backpack.

"I will go with mamah to school later." Aliya say and Zahra'u shrug.

"Are you sure?
If you know she will disturb you it's better i go with her to the work place." Zahra'u say grabbing the noodle breakfast Aliya put some for her in the white takeaway.

"Nah,
It's fine,
Just take care out there." Aliya say and Zahra'u nod quickly exiting the bedroom as she quickly saunter to aliyah's apartment frontage and grab her shoes that she wash earlier this morning.

"Good morning maman mamah." The familiar voice say and she glance at him.

"Morning doc." Zahra'u say and quickly haul her backpack.

"Morning what's with the hurry,
We are going same place, remember." Ziyad say and Zahra'u stare at him for a while before shaking her head.

"Nah,
Thank you maybe some other time." She say and quickly begin exiting the compound but ziyad quickly saunter to meet her.

"Come on Zahra'u i just want us to be friends i promise." Ziyad say and Zahra'u sigh as her mind wander back to the rumors in the hospital.

"Doctor,
I don't mean to be blunt but i honestly don't want problems and attention,
The hospital a........

" people can think whatever they want to it's there business,
Come on it's getting late."ziyad say and Zahra'u sigh in defeat as she turn walking back to the car beside that will save her money.

The drive isn't a quiet one as bad as Zahra'u want to ignore ziyad she knows it will rather sound rude especially she been inside his car, once at the hospital Zahra'u ask him to drop her outside the gate and she quickly enter the building.

Working none stop for 5hours can be exhausting especially if you have to keep bending down to mop and sweep, as Zahra'u drop the room with a sigh she stand outside the backyard staring at the hazy angry cloud that is telling her it could be rain anytime soon.

"Hey." The familiar voice say making her to turn.

"I bring you lunch." Ziyad say with a lopsided smile as Zahra'u glance at the white niylon in his hand.

"No than.......

" come on Zahra'u,
Why are you making a big deal out of all this, I know i find you attractive but i just want us to be friends,
Please take it."ziyad say and Zahra'u collect with a tiring sigh as few  nurses past giving the two a weird look.

*************

The next few days past by with the persistent doctor always trying to impress Zahra'u, at home and in hospital he do everything he can to gain her attention, sometimes Zahra'u ignore him while other times she goes with the flow and gist as do everything is normal, like usual she and Aliya are sitting outside the apartment porch as always talking.

"I don't have money to throw any birthday beside who's going to come,
Please aliya let this girl be I'm not interested." Zahra'u say as she grab her daughter from where she's removing some of the planted flowers.

"You don't have to worry i will Handle everything just give me the permission and..........

" no."Zahra'u say really serious each time mamahs birthday near she think about bashir he will be back home, she wonder what will happened if he didn't see her, pushing all those thought Zahra'u stand up to enter the bedroom when the familiar voice call her.

"I bought this for mamah." Ziyad say walking to the apartment frontage as Zahra'u stare at the big shopping bag in his hand and back to his face.

"You don't have to do that." Zahra'u say staring at ziyad who's smiling as always.

"I want to." He say and Aliya collect the bag from him making Zahra'u to roll her eyes with a sigh.

"Thank you." She say and ziyad walk back to his apartment as they both enter the bedroom with aliya already rummaging through the bag.

"Ohhh wow,
Our birthday clothes are here mamah." Aliya tease and Zahra'u ignore net sitting on the bed as she stare at aliya who's removing all the things from the back.

Zahra'u wonder maybe giving herself a chance to fall in love will make her forget about Bashir, but how can she even trust ziyad she sigh with a facepalm and lay on the bed staring at the rotating ceiling fan.