Prologue - I waited

(Y/N) - Your Name

(L/N) - Last name

(Y/A) - Your animal

(F/C) - Fur/Feather colours

(E/C) - Eye colour

(C/C) - Colour of your choice

(C/N) - City Name

For this story you will identify as female, however feel free to change this to whatever you feel (the gender of the character is mentioned very little so, yeah) :)

Also, for majority of this story I am going to assume that the animal you are has ears, fur and a tail just to make writing this easier, you can change this according to what animal you are. IDK why I am saying this since no one will read this lol.

_____

The moon shone down on the earth, letting its soft light drown the darkness of night. In an overgrown forest, sitting alone on a stone, sat a young (Y/A). With your legs crossed and hands in your lap, you looked straight ahead. Your tail curled around your small frame attempting to keep in any body heat. Your small ears flicked and twitched at every small noise. You could hear the crickets sing, the frogs croak, and the bats screech.

You often got distracted by the calming noises, each time almost drifting to sleep. Shaking yourself awake, you continued to stare straight ahead.

Waiting.

Listening.

Hoping.

The cold night air decided to pick up, making your (F/C) fur wave in the wind. You shivered as the cool air pricked at you skin. Your ears flattened as your heart began to sting. Tears began to blur your vision as you looked down at your lap. You watched as the salty tears fell onto your legs, your hand whipping your leaking nose. You sniffled, your eyes shutting closed as you remember what your mother said.

"Come (Y/N)," Your mother slowly uttered as she put on a jumper to block out the night air. You came running through the small house giggling, and spinning.

"I'm here mama!" You smiled up at her, tail wagging excitedly, "Where we going?" Your mother opened her mouth, but shut it again as she looked out the front door. Her ears perked as she stared at a couple as they walked down the dark street. She gently looked back down at you as she sadly sighed.

"Come, lets go. Did you remember your jumper?" She asked looking down at your small form. You shook your head making your mother sigh even more. As she was about to say something, a loud crash from the back of the house echoed through the small home. You turned your head to look back but your mother grabbed your arm and pulled you out the front door.

"What was-"

"We have to leave," your mother cut your question short as she dragged you through the streets. You felt her grip beginning to bruise your arm, making tears prick the corner of your eyes as you kept to a quick pace. Your mother began to move quicker, continuing to pull you along.

Eventually, you both walked out of the empty streets into the overgrown forest. She led you quickly through the forest, your feet barley able to keep up and your arm hurting from her tight grip. Your foot managed to get caught on a tree root causing you to fall and slip from your mothers grip. Your mother paused in her rush and glanced back at you. Your ears were flat as you sat up, brushing the dust from your face. Your mother leaned down next to you and hugged you, apologising repeatedly.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry. Its okay, I've got you," she hushed. You whipped your tears away as you met eyes with your mothers kind ones. Her ears perked as she noticed how you shivered.

"Where is your jumper? I told you to get it."

"You were mad I was slow, and I didn't want to make you more mad," you stared at the forest floor. With a sigh, you mother picked you up and placed you on a boulder.

"Okay, I'm going to go and get your jumper from the house. I'll be right back, okay sweetie. Don't move," she softly whispered, kissing your fluffy forehead. With a nod from you, she left. Her form vanishing within the foliage.

Tears continued to fall as you whimpered, holding your knees close with your tail wrapped around yourself. She didn't come back, and you needed her back. You loved your mother so much, even if she didn't spend much time with you and was always away, you knew she loved you too. But, with her not having returned like she said she would, you began to doubt her love.

I'll be back

I'll be back

I'll be back.

More and more tears fell as you cried. Standing up on the boulder you stared at the place where you last saw her. Anger bubbling up inside you.

"NO YOU WON'T," You yelled at the top of your weak lungs, your tail lashing and your eyes puffing up from the tears. Your ears remained flat on your head as you wailed.

"YOU NEVER come back," you choked out the last words. Dragging your hands all across your tear stained and snotty face, you froze at the sound of twigs snapping. Gazing up, you stared at the leaves to which your mother disappeared in.

"Mummy?" You watched through your teary eyes as three shadowed figures walked out of the bushes. You cowered, hiding yourself by tucking your legs in and curling your tail around you. Your (E/C) eyes looked at the three. On the left was a female wolf, her eyes a velvet hue, with grey fur, and half of her face was covered with a long purple fringe. On the right was a light blue bird, his feathers ruffled and beak badly scratched. In the middle of the three stood a green hedgehog. His eyes a deep blue and his spikes pulled back. On his shoulders he wore a leather jacket, similar to the other two.

"I'll take care of this one boss," the bird spoke, cracking his knuckles. You whimpered as you hugged yourself closer. You watched as the green hedgehog lifted his hand in front of the bird.

"No. I have a better plan." Your eyes followed as the green hedgehog approached. You whined in fear, afraid. He grinned down at you, his smile surprisingly soft as he tried not to scare you anymore.

"Hey, its okay little one. I won't hurt you," he kneeled down so you where face to face, "I'm Scourge. The bird brain is Max, and the wolf is Lizzy. What your name?"

"(Y-Y/n) (L/N)," you hesitated.

"A (L/N). Oh, you poor thing, we just saw your mommy leave," he uttered, a hidden smirk playing on his face.

"My mama? She said she will be back," you choked. The hedgehog stared at you as he shook his head, along with the female wolf.

"I don't think she will be back," the bird chuckled devilishly, shutting up as the wolf gave him a gab in the gut.

Scourge huffed angrily before looking back at you, "I'm sorry kid. We saw her leave town." Your ears flattened as you felt the tears begin to well up again.

"Hey, don't cry kid. We can care for ya, teach you the ropes of how to survive. What do ya say kid?" You looked up at him, tears staining your fluffy cheeks. You glanced behind him, into the leaves that made your mother disappear forever. With sadness in your heart, you stared up at the hedgehog and ever so slightly... nodded.