Terrible Things (H2OVanoss)

Jonathan stared at the piece of paper in his hands, tears welling up in his eyes. He wanted to believe this was some kind of horrible joke. That none of it was true, and that Evan was going to be just fine. He wanted to believe that so badly. But he couldn't. Not with those two bolded words sticking out at him, mocking him.

Terminal Cancer.

"I'm really sorry, Mr.Dennis." Evan's doctor apologized, but all Jonathan could do was shake his head. He couldn't speak. He couldn't move his legs and walk away. All he could do was stand in the hallway outside of Evan's room door, staring at those two words.

Those two horrible, awful words.

The two words that would take his love away from him.

To be honest, Jonathan was waiting for something like this to happen. His whole life had been one of despair, death, and sadness. When he found Evan it was like a new light had been brought into his life. Now that light was going to be snuffed out, leaving Jon all alone in the dark.

Jonathan hadn't told any of their friends yet. No, that was something he couldn't do. He couldn't accept Evan dying himself, more or less make their friends come to terms with it as well. He was a coward for it. Everyone died eventually. It happened every single day to somebody; young or old, healthy or sick, mean or nice, death was inevitable. But when it came to Evan.. he couldn't think of it that way. He loved  Evan, more than life itself.

Tears now freely streaming down his face, Jon turned and walked into Evan's hospital room. He made sure to be quite, as to not wake Evan up. The doctor had said that the sick boy could pass on any day now, and though it sounded cruel Jonathan wanted it to happen in his sleep. Dying in your sleep was supposed to be the most peaceful way to go, and Jon prayed to every god in existence that Evan would leave this world in the best way he could.

Pulling up a chair to his husband's hospital bed Jonathan sat down. He decided that now was as good a time as any to take in everything about his lover, to reflect on their past times together and how far they had gotten in life up to this point.

God, even on the verge of death Evan was still as beautiful as when the two had first met. Sure, the cancer had made some things change. His hair was now flat instead of spiked up; it would be pointless to fix it everyday knowing that it eventually wasn't going to matter. His skin was ashen colored instead of it's usual tan. He had lost a lot of weight, so now he was more bones than muscles. But one thing about Evan hadn't changed in the slightest bit since he fell ill.

His eyes.

They were still their usual deep warm, chocolate brown color that made Jon want to swoon every time he looked into them. That was the one downside of keeping Evan asleep. Jonathan couldn't see his eyes.

Then the heart monitor acted up.

When it had first started letting out fast beeping noises, Jon had already sprang to his feet. Throwing the room door open he yelled as loud as his voice would allow him to for a doctor. People in white coats rushed past him into the hospital room, immediately surrounding Evan.