Chapter 26 - I'm Back!

Hange was sitting on Lara's bed, unconsciously squeezing the stuffed horse as she watched the moon through the window. It was snowing heavily outside.

She tapped her foot repeatedly on the floor and looked at the open door every ten seconds. At one of the times she looked again, she saw Levi standing there, watching her.

"She hasn't arrived yet?" he asked, walking into the bedroom and sitting next to Hange.

"No... I'm starting to get worried..." Hange dried her hands on her pants.

"They must be coming more slowly to avoid any accidents."

"Do you think Lara is well dressed?" Hange turned to Levi, abruptly, her eyes wide open. "I'm absolutely sure I put two extra coats in her backpack... What if she catches a cold, or worse, gets a fever just like that day?!"

"Calm down," said Levi, putting the stuffed horse aside and holding Hange's hands. "I'm sure she'll arrive very soon."

The tone of his voice was so soothing, it made Hange's shoulders relax and her breathing normalize. She gently squeezed his hands.

"Only you to make me feel–LARA!!!"

Hange and Levi were so absorbed in themselves, they didn't notice that while they talked, Lara had already walked into the bedroom and silently closed the door.

As he watched Lara standing there, in front of the door, Levi made a sort of a guttural sound, that could be classified as a laugh, because that vision of his daughter was a little... Funny.

Basically, the only thing you could see was the white of her eyes, if that. Lara was fully dressed in warm clothes from head to toe. She was wearing a thick gray coat that reached almost to her feet, with fur on the hood. Half of her face was covered with a black cloth, and she was wearing goggles in her eyes, just like Hange's. Mittens covered her hands and she was also wearing heavy boots on her feet. Lara seemed a lot smaller than she already was, and there was a little bit of snow on top of her head.

With her little arms hanging on her sides, as she had so many layers of clothes on, Lara walked towards Hange and Levi with difficulty.

"Hey, there! I'm back!" she said, with her high-pitched voice muffled by the cloth, waving her arms up in the air.

Levi couldn't hold it any longer and started to laugh so hard, he slapped his knee. Hange tried her best to look like a worried and impassive mother in that situation, but she failed miserably, making Lara look from one to the other in confusion.

"Eh? What happened?"

"It's nothing, sweetie..." Hange dried a tear after her fit of laughter.

"Didn't you wanna know if Lara was well dressed?" asked Levi, composing himself, "There's your answer!"

"Mommy, help me?" Lara signaled for Hange to help her take off her coat.

Hange took off her coat, boots, mittens, the cloth that covered Lara's face, and her goggles, finally leaving her with only her Survey Corps pants and shirt, and a nice warm white pair of socks on her feet.

Now completely free, Lara gave a few little jumps to shake herself and literally flew at Levi and Hange's necks. She grabbed them so violently, they both fell backward.

"I missed you so much!!!"

Catching her breath, Hange also said she missed her daughter and showered Lara with kisses, while Levi ruffled her hair covered with snow.

Lara climbed onto the bed and laid down on her pillow.

"Come!" she said, asking for each of her parents to lay down by her side. "I'll tell you guys everything!"