Chapter 21 - Shock

When Levi heard Lara's words, he felt like a fifteen-meter Titan got off his shoulders, as if it was crushing him. He looked up at the sky again, but this time, with a smile.

"Thank you... Thank you so much..."

Levi looked at Lara, who was breathing deeply.

"Forgive me..." he said, also gently squeezing her hand, "I... I was a complete... Liar."

Lara just smiled, slowly blinking.

"MY BABY!" exclaimed Hange, literally pushing Levi aside (who let out an annoyed "Hey!"), hugging the girl with all her strength, her eyes wide opened. "Lara! Are you okay?!" Tears were streaming down Hange's face. "Oh, honey! I thought I'd lost you!"

"Ouch, mom!" replied Lara, grimacing in pain and having her cheeks pressed against Hange's chest. "It's hurting me!"

"Oh, I'm so sorry!" Hange let go Lara off, inspecting her from head to toe, "Where is it hurting?!"

Lara grimaced once more as she placed her hand on her left side, which was hurting as much as her foot. Looking around, she realized the dead Titans scenery that surrounded them, as well as a bunch of pair of eyes from the Survey Corps' soldiers who stared at them, completely perplexed.

"What happened here?"

Levi opened his mouth to answer, but Hange jumped in.

"You won't believe it!" she said, overjoyed, "It was your father! He was amazing!"

Levi blushed with that compliment.

From the top of the trees, Erwin couldn't believe his eyes. Lara was... Alive? But, how?

Around him, several soldiers were externalizing his thoughts, asking the same questions. Erwin was the first to get down to the ground, walking towards the trio, followed by his astonished comrades.

When Hange spotted him a few meters ahead, she pointed her index finger at him in an accusatory sign.

"YOU!" she suddenly stood up and walked stomping towards Erwin, "You sent my daughter to her death!"

If Moblit hadn't run ahead of her and held her down, Erwin would probably have been slapped in the face.

"I-I..." stammered the Commander, stepping back in fright.

"Squad Leader!" said Moblit, straining to hold her back, "Calm yourself down!"

"If my daughter had died, I would--AHHHHHHHHHH!" Hange exclaimed in anger, freeing herself from Moblit. She went back next to Lara again, kneeling beside her and putting the goggles back in place.

Like a scared little puppy, Erwin approached Lara, who was struggling to stay seated.

"How are you doing?"

"Great!" Lara smiled nervously, her thumbs up in both hands, and then, she suddenly got a sad expression. "I'm sorry, Commander... We ended up losing Amanda and Muratti... But, I believe we can manage to take their bodies for their families say goodbye..."

Erwin approached a bit more, even though Hange was staring at him with a threatening look, and ruffled the girl's hair.

"That's an excellent idea."

	The sky was already covered with stars when Lara was returning to the camp, piggybacking on Mike, who had offered to take her

The sky was already covered with stars when Lara was returning to the camp, piggybacking on Mike, who had offered to take her. Just as she had suggested, Amanda and Muratti's bodies were also taken by other soldiers.

Only Levi, Hange, and Erwin stayed back in the clearing, as the Corps flew towards the camp. Hange seemed way calmer now and was no longer threatening to slash Erwin with her sword.

The Commander realized he was being the third wheel in there, and soon, he also vanished among the trees, leaving Hange and Levi.

Seeing they were now all alone, Hange made a sound of relief from the back of her throat and knelt on the ground.

"What I felt today... I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy... Not even on the Titans..."

Levi clicked his tongue, rolling his eyes and kneeling down in front of her. Gently, he brushed the hair out of Hange's eyes, who gave him a little smile.

"I'm feeling so happy..." sighed Hange, "And relieved..."

Then, she stared at him, shyly.

"Levi... Back in that moment... Who were you talking to?"

He swallowed hard and rubbed the back of his neck.

"It's..." he said, looking away, "It's something between me and Lara."

Hange didn't want to insist and gave him a small smile. When she realized it, she had taken one of Levi's hands, squeezing it tightly.

Silently, Levi held the back of her ponytail, as he always did when he wanted to get her attention, and automatically, they touched their foreheads.

They stayed like that for a few moments, their noses rubbing against each other. Both of their pulses were accelerating and they could feel the warm air coming out of their mouths. At one point, their lips brushed, causing Hange to slightly open her mouth. Then, like a flash, Levi pecked Hange's bottom lip, which made her feel a small electric shock throughout her body, which lasted less than a millisecond.

Unexpectedly, Levi stood up in a jump and looked down at her, extending his hand.

"Are you coming?" he asked, giving her a little smile.

Hange watched him from below, his figure being contoured by the trees and the starry sky. Without even realizing it, she let out a sigh.

"Yes," she smiled back, taking his hand and standing up.

Walking side by side to the nearest tree, Levi slowly slipped his hand around Hange's waist, who rested her head on the shorty, only disengaging when their ODM gears hooks were attached to the trunk.

Yeah... It was a lot of emotion for just one day.

 It was a lot of emotion for just one day