Chapter 85 - Dying

The carriage was shaking about, quickly running towards Shiganshina. Others followed behind.

Sitting down, her hands still tied behind her back, Hange felt severe pain in her lower back and belly. Her ear buzzed.

Ahead of her, Lara gazed at her in worry. She felt the menacing glare of Floch, who was sitting beside Hange, now armed with a rifle.

The only sound that could be heard was the horses' hooves.

Lara glanced at the soldier sitting next to her. He also carried a rifle and looked a little uncomfortable.

Then, in a sudden movement, the carriage stopped, causing everyone to lurch forward.

"What the heck?!" exclaimed Floch angrily, turning to the little window which gave access to the coachman-soldier who was driving the carriage.

"I-I'm sorry, sir," replied the coachman-soldier, "It's just that... I felt a strange tingling in my body..." His eyes turned dark, "It seemed like a shock..."

Hange also turned to look at him and saw the insignia stamped on his uniform: he was a soldier of the Military Police.

Hange turned to her daughter, with an expression of utter fear. She felt a strong pressure in her head and for a second, her vision blurred. Trying to compose herself as best she could, Hange stared at Lara.

With their eyes, they communicated:

"No... It can't be..." said Hange.

"Wh-What's up, Mom?" asked Lara, frightened.

"This tingling he felt... It can only mean one thing..." Hange's eyes widened even more.

Lara got the message right away.

At that very moment, Zeke has just screamed to turn everyone who drank the contaminated wine into Titans. However, for some reason they didn't know, the coachman-soldier hadn't transformed.

Only one name crossed their minds: Levi.

Could it be that, right now, he was no longer a human?

That simple thought sent a chill down their spines.

Floch noticed that the girls were gazing at each other in a strange way.

"Hey, you two!" he exclaimed, irritated. "Whatever you're doing, stop immediately," Floch cocked the rifle. Lara glared back at him with a grimace of disgust.

He replied the grimace, squirming a little on the seat, remembering the sharp pain he had felt between his legs just a few minutes ago.

Lara and Hange were climbing the stone stairs to the terrace of Shiganshina Headquarters. They were escorted by Floch and a few other rebel soldiers.

As they opened the large wooden door, the girls squinted at the sudden brightness. Gaining their visions back, they came across instructor Keith Shadis, the one who, when Lara turned twelve years old, she and Levi made fun of Hange for having a crush on him when she was younger.