Chapter 25 - "Where Does it Hurt?"

Dear readers, this chapter was based on a Levihan one-shot Fanfiction I wrote a while ago, which is also available here. If anyone wants to read it, it's in Levi's POV. Have a nice reading! ♥ Cover art via Pinterest (please let me know the artist).

Hange didn't talk about the house with Levi anymore, because after all, he was the one who told her about buying it, and she was still too embarrassed to talk about this subject

Hange didn't talk about the house with Levi anymore, because after all, he was the one who told her about buying it, and she was still too embarrassed to talk about this subject. They remained a little shy with each other for a few days, but eventually, the tense mood between them lightened up. Lara herself helped them with that.

Months have passed and winter came. Lara had to be away for three weeks, because she would join the Winter Training with the 104th Cadet Corps.

Hange and Levi didn't enjoy the absence of their daughter, which only made Hange feel down in the dumps, and at a certain occasion, Levi found her in her bedroom, hugging the stuffed horse that Lara won at that festival.

During the meals, Levi would catch himself looking at the place where Lara used to sit down to eat, hoping that as if by magic, she would appear there beside him.

One night, when Lara was about a week away from returning, Levi was leaving a long meeting he had with his subordinate soldiers.

He was exhausted, but he had promised Hange that he would help her with some matters about her studies of the Titans. Levi only accepted because Hange insisted a lot and, honestly, since they started to live more together, he couldn't say "no" to that woman anymore.

Now, when Hange wanted him to do something she knew he didn't like, she used a ruse that Levi could no longer get away with: Hange would pount her lips, hold her hands together, as if she was saying a prayer. He tried to remain impassive in his facial expression, but his heart melted with this vision.

On his way to the lab, Levi passed by a wall clock and saw that it was already ten o'clock at night. Hange had the habit of staying late at the lab, but was always careful to send Lara to bed on time. However, for Hange being occasionally a little absent-minded with time, Lara herself had already acquired the habit that, when this happened, she would go to bed by herself.

Exceptionally today, Levi and Hange didn't have dinner together, because of his meeting. But, as he passed by the kitchen, he imagined that she might enjoy having a cup of tea with him. After making the tea, he placed the cups and the teapot on a wooden tray.

When he arrived at the lab, Levi held the tray with one hand and knocked on the door with the other.

Complete silence.

At first, Levi didn't find it strange, because sometimes Hange was so focused on her researches, she would forget the world around her.

"Hange, it's me," he said, opening the door.

When Levi entered, he bumped into a scene that, honestly, he wasn't expecting: Hange was crouched on the floor, with her back leaning against the bookcase behind her desk. She was holding her belly and her expression was one of extreme pain.