Chapter 49 - Thunder Spear

Hiding in the abandoned buildings of Shiganshina, Lara, Hange, and their Squads watched Eren transform into a Titan. Erwin's plan was to make Eren gets Reiner's attention, so they could try to spare the horses' lives.

However, they had another concern: Bertholdt, the Colossal Titan, was still hiding somewhere no one knew. Because of that, they thought it was better to keep the fight away from the Walls.

Reiner took the bait and went after Eren, leading them to an intense fight. Eren had learned to harden his fists, which now allowed him to punch with the force of a "Titan Brass Knuckles".

While Eren and Reiner fought, they prepared their Thunder Spears, each of them having a pair of that weapon. It was attached to the ODM gear, which made its transportation and its use easier.

Inside Wall Maria, Levi and the other soldiers struggled to save the horses

"Take down the small Titans before the Beast Titan makes a move," ordered Levi, anxious. "I don't want any casualties! Don't you dare die!"

He looked around, panting.

"Damn it! This is ridiculous... Weak soldiers always die fast... Should've kept them up there..." Levi then looked at Erwin, the only one who was still on top of the Wall, watching everyone and everything, impassive.

" Levi then looked at Erwin, the only one who was still on top of the Wall, watching everyone and everything, impassive

The experiences that Hange and Lara did with Eren really paid off. His hardened fists were taking Reiner down.

Mikasa was anxious, because, at one point, Reiner managed to trap Eren with a fighting move. She looked at Hange, wanting to launch the Thunder Spears right away.

"No!" exclaimed Hange. "Not yet! Everything rides on the first attack! We have to trust that Eren will give us the opening we need!"

"Mikasa!" called Lara. "You stay here with the others! My mother and I will launch the first spears." She then turned to her Squad. "Prepare to launch when we give the signal!"

Reluctantly, Mikasa accepted. Lara gave her a meaningful look to get Mikasa to trust her and the girl replied with a little smile.

Eren was able to successfully counter Reiner's moves, throwing him so far, that the Armored Titan rolled away.

At this moment when Reiner was vulnerable, Hange and Lara flew off using their ODM gears, with their Thunder Spears ready to hit him.

In perfect sync, mother and daughter flew among the houses and buildings, ready to launch the first spears at the Armored Titan.

"This is our chance!" exclaimed Hange.

Then, as if in slow motion, the girls got closer to Reiner's face and launched two Thunder Spears into his eyes, catching him totally off guard. Quickly, they pulled the pin and went flying towards some houses' roofs, keeping a safe distance.

BOOM!!! BOOM!!!

Reiner gave a huge scream as his eyes exploded.

"NOW!!!" exclaimed Lara.

The remaining soldiers of the Squads approached Reiner and launched their Thunder Spears at his nape, blasting him right away.

They did it. They broke the hard nape of the Armored Titan.

The soldiers met up with Hange and Lara, all very surprised and happy that the plan had actually succeeded.

"We did it?!" exclaimed Connie, who lost his balance and fell awkwardly on a house roof. "Really?!"

"The spears worked!" shouted Sasha.

"Do it again!" ordered Hange. "Attack with the Thunder Spears and finish him off!"

Then, the soldiers of Lara's Squad hesitated, mostly Connie, Sasha, Jean, and Armin. They had a dread look in their eyes and Lara understood perfectly well what they were thinking.

"Reiner..." whispered Sasha.

"Pay attention," Lara said firmly, and everyone looked at her, "I know it's hard to have to do this with someone we once considered a friend. But, we're in a battle now. It's him or us. And I'm sure Reiner is not willing to give his life for any of you!" She pointed to the Armored Titan. "Right now, he is our mortal enemy, until proven otherwise. We need to fight him!"

A silence followed, which was broken by Jean.

"Guys!" he exclaimed, turning to his friends. "You should've been ready for this! Let's go!"

Some of them were still looking scared at Reiner, but then they acquired a confident look and went flying towards the Armored Titan's nape.

With a scream of fury, they all launched their Thunder Spears and the last thing they could see was the flash of the explosion.