Chapter 62 - Grief

Walking among the remains of Shiganshina, Lara got startled when she heard a green flare being fired by Levi atop the Wall. Quickly, she went to Hange, who was also wandering around the city, and together, they joined Mikasa, Jean, and Connie to meet Levi.

When they arrived at the top of the Wall, they saw that Armin had woken up. Next to him, still unconscious, laid Sasha. In a more distant area, Floch studied the surrounding landscape through binoculars. He didn't feel very comfortable around the others, so he always tried to stay a little further away.

Armin looked very puzzled and confused.

Mikasa promptly ran into his arms, crying to see him well and alive. Connie and Jean also went to give their friend a hug. Hange squeezed his shoulders, with a gentle smile, and sat down on top of a sleeping bag. Levi stood beside her while the others also circled Armin.

Lara was the last to greet him.

Slowly, she walked towards Armin, who was sitting inside a sleeping bag. He watched her approach, with amazement and gleaming in his eyes at the same time.

She crouched beside him, and as if forgetting that she was surrounded by people watching them, Lara stared into Armin's blue eyes, feeling her own begin to water.

Without meaning to, she placed her fingertips on Armin's cheek, as if she couldn't believe he was there, alive in front of her, for the image of his entire burned body was still flashing before her eyes. But as she touched his face, she quickly pulled her hand away, as if she got a shock and realized what she had done.

Armin got very blushed.

Lara gave him a smile and gently hugged him.

"Welcome back, Officer..."

For a moment, Armin was speechless, but then, he slowly wrapped his arms around Lara, closing his eyes.

"Thank you," he whispered, giving a little smile.

They both remained there, hugging each other. They didn't know exactly for how long, for they only pulled back when they heard Levi clear his throat loudly.

Before walking away, Lara inadvertently looked down and noticed that Armin was only wearing Eren's beige jacket on the upper part of his body. Immediately, she felt her face turn hot and red.

She got up in a jump, finding this kind of sensation quite strange, for it was the first time this had happened to her. She walked over to Hange and sat down next to her, in front of Armin. She stared at the ground, embarrassed, feeling all eyes on her.

Levi and Hange looked at each other, with an odd expression. He then cleared his throat once more and poked Eren's head.

"Come on!" he exclaimed, slightly grumpy, "Explain everything that happened to Armin."

Abashed, Eren calmly explained all the events that had taken place, from when Armin faced the Colossal Titan, until the current moment. Armin stared at a fixed point, with an expression of pure fright.

"You understood everything?" asked Levi.

Armin remained silent, then, he looked down at a waterskin he was holding.

"S-So..." he began, softly, "The ten people who are here, are the only ones left of the Survey Corps?"

"Yeah, for the time being..." replied Jean, wearily. Connie was trying to get Sasha some water to drink.

"We've been looking for survivors down there since the fight ended, about four hours ago," said Lara, crestfallen. "But, we didn't find any..."

Armin looked down at his own hands as he repeated Eren's words, trying to process them.