Prologue

"It's settled," said Erwin, confidently as he crossed his arms. "The girl will join the Survey Corps."

"You've got to be joking," replied Levi, widening his eyes.

"Erwin, for God's sake," said Hange, openmouthed, "sh-she's only ten..."

The Commander was obstinate.

"She's gonna be the youngest person to have ever joined the Survey Corps," said Levi, indignantly. "You'll be sending the girl to her death!"

Erwin rubbed his temples, took a long breath, and looked at Levi as if he were talking about the weather.

"I've never seen anyone do what she did in that forest. At least not at this age."

Hange turned to Levi, desperately.

"If she joins the Survey Corps..." continued Erwin, "One out of two: either she will really become one of the best soldiers of her generation and will be of extreme help to humanity, or... She will die in the first mission and will continue with no one missing her."

Outside the Commander's office, accompanied by a soldier, the girl squirmed in the chair she was sitting on, as she heard what Erwin had said.

Inside the office, Hange lost her patience and punched the desk.

"Don't say such nonsense!"

"Hange," sighed Erwin, wearily, "you do know that the government calls up orphans to become soldiers. This is routine and you know very well why. What I'm doing is just allowing the girl to enlist two years earlier than normal."

"But they go through a long training before finally joining the Survey Corps!" exclaimed Hange. "You wanna skip many steps of this process!"

"It's already decided," Erwin concluded. "Lara is going to join the Survey Corps."

Levi took a deep breath. Something inside him was making him very uneasy.

"Well," snorted Hange, looking annoyed at Erwin, "I think that what I can wish for her is 'good luck'?!"

"Look, she'll need it..." he replied.

"Erwin..." Levi began to speak, but was interrupted by the Commander.

"Because you two are gonna be her tutors," concluded Erwin, smiling as he crossed his arms again.

"WHAT?!" exclaimed Hange and Levi at the same time.

Outside, away from the severe gaze of the soldier, Lara gave a mischievous little smile.