Chapter 10 - Count on Me!

The next day was just as boring as the previous one. At least, that's what Lara thought as she sat at the refectory table, all alone, gazing at the ceiling. It was almost late afternoon.

All soldiers were outside, facing the greatest danger they knew, and Lara was there, biting her nails.

The lack of things to do was making her restless, anxious, and most of all, annoyed. Although she was small and malnourished, Lara was a child, with all the energy in her body ready to be expended. Staying still and quiet is not an option for children, even though they are forced to do so many times.

"Why!" thought Lara, tapping her fingers on the table. "Commander Erwin said he was counting on me on the mission. Did he just say that to be nice, or does he really want me to help with something? He seemed to be serious when he said that... What if he's waiting for me to help, but I'm staying here because Levi and Hange don't let me out? I think it's better to obey the Commander, after all, he's the boss of those two. If Erwin said he was counting on me, it means I have to do something! What if he won't let me enlist in the Survey Corps, just because I sat here, doing nothing?! No... This can't happen!"

Determined, Lara dashed out of the refectory and went into a room where she had seen the soldiers get the ODM gears. She started snooping the devices, not understanding a thing about how they worked. When Lara was in the Forest of Giant Trees and found that sword, the blade was already attached and she just had to unscrew the wire that connected it to the rest of the device.

Lara sat down on the floor, grumpy, resting her chin on her knees. She looked around with a sad expression and her sight spotted something. In a far corner of the room, there were some ODM gears fully assembled. In a jump, Lara headed in that direction and began exploring them. She realized that, in fact, they were devices with some defect, like a broken wire or with the box that kept the blades damaged.

But, for her happiness, there were a few swords already assembled, working perfectly. Lara unscrewed two of them, letting them off from the wires that held them together. At first, she thought she wouldn't be able to carry them, but they were incredibly light.

Lara picked up her swords and walked out slowly, peering down the corridors. Furtively, she headed to the HQ main entrance. There were a few soldiers loading some carts, but they all had their backs to her.

As quietly as possible, Lara sneaked off outside the HQ and rushed towards the streets of the abandoned District of Shiganshina.

Hange was walking steadily down the corridor, toward the room where she and Lara had slept. As Hange was about to pass through the door, she said:

"What's up, honey? I'm here to get more blades and I've decided to stop by and see how you are doin–"

Hange stopped in the middle of the room, abruptly. It was empty.

"Lara?" she called, looking around.

Hange walked through the corridors, calling the girl's name, but had no answer. She checked out the refectory and some other rooms that Lara could be exploring.