Chapter 90 - A Different Proposal

When they drew apart from their embrace, Armin once more used his handkerchief to wipe his face.

"Thank you so much," he said, still downcast. Armin shyly looked at Levi and Hange, who were beside him, "You're like parents to me..."

Hange was so happy when he said that, that she pulled him into another hug, and this time, Armin didn't groan in pain, but reciprocated with affection. Even Levi, who, despite the stitches on his mouth, managed to give a little smile, also slowly pulling him into a hug (Armin had to just pat him lightly on the back, so as not to hurt his father-in-law). Lara was so touched by how her parents were so welcoming and loving to her fiancé, that she couldn't hold back a few tears. She massaged Armin's shoulders, who turned his head and gave her a peck kiss.

"Look, my dear," said Hange, holding her belly with a playful smile, "we just don't adopt you legally either, 'cause it'd be really weird, you marrying your 'sister'. Until we get to explain the whole situation, someone would already have insulted us to our fifth generation."

They all laughed and Armin agreed, claiming that it would definitely not be a good idea, but that he was already very happy to have gained a new family, especially at such troubled moment.

"I think it's a good time to have some tea, to calm our spirits a little, don't you guys think?" asked Hange, heading towards the door.

"Where do you think you're going?" Lara got an authoritative tone of voice, raising an eyebrow, "Mom!"

Hange pouted in indignancy. She couldn't stand to lie down on her bed anymore, and every now and then, Hange tried to slip off the bed, but Lara never allowed her.

"You shall lie down, right now!" ordered Lara, pointing to her side of the bed. "Let me make the tea myself, young lady!"

Stamping her feet, Hange complied. She held her belly.

"You see, Tiny-Human-Bean? How she treats and scolds me?! Get yourself ready, 'cause you're gonna have a very stern sister!"

Levi rolled his good eye, huffing some air through his mouth, as he got back into bed. Armin couldn't help but laugh. Lara just crossed her arms, looking bored.

"I'll just pretend I didn't hear that, Mom. I'll sue you for the highest level of defamation."

Hange stuck out her tongue, to which her daughter replied the same, but they ended up smiling at each other. Lara stood up to go to the kitchen, but Armin pulled her back.

"Baby, wait," he said, pressing his lips together. "I still have a few more things to tell you all."

"There's more?!" exclaimed Hange. She, Levi, and Lara widened their eyes, leaning forward.

"In general, I told you guys everything that happened in relation to the battle," replied Armin. "But there are other things that happened that you need to know." He then turned to his father-in-law, "Levi... Zeke is dead."

He widened his good eye, straightening his back, with an expression of utter astonishment. Hange and Lara were gaping, staring at each other in perplexity. Everyone was silent for a few seconds, feeling tense, gazing at Levi. Finally, he asked:

"How?"

Armin took a deep breath.

"We're absolutely sure he drowned. Pieck told me that when she, Reiner, and Galliard were fighting Eren in the ocean, she noticed that there was literally a man, fused into his Titan skeleton. That man was Zeke. He must have fused when Eren transformed."

Levi listened to that with much attention, his good eye widened. Lara and Hange were pale.

"Wh-What do you mean? Fused?" asked Lara, puzzled, unable to avoid a disgusted face.