Chapter 15 - Mother, Daughter

I wrote this chapter based on very fond moments I had with my mother when I was a child. I prepared a very special soundtrack for this chapter. When I write "PLAY", put on the song "The Place Where Wishes Come True II", from the anime Clannad. Hope you like it ♥

Levi got up very early on Saturday

Levi got up very early on Saturday. He would leave for the Stohess District in a few minutes. The horses were ready and almost all his companions were waiting in the courtyard of the HQ.

He had hardly slept at all during the night. Thoughts came and went in his mind, and when he finally managed to fall asleep, he woke up from some nightmare. Levi couldn't stop thinking about the mission that awaited them within two days. He also thought a lot about Lara, but the image of the person that couldn't get out of his mind was Hange.

Since he rushed out of the refectory on that Monday morning, Levi had hardly spoken half a dozen words with the Squad Leader. During lunchtime, Lara tried to get the two of them to talk, but they would both respond with few, and often, harsh words.

In addition, Lara also noticed that all of a sudden, Hange's typical outgoing mood had turned into something depressing, and on many occasions during the week, the girl had to call her several times until Hange realized someone was talking to her.

Levi's mood also changed. It is true that he had that serious and frowning manner, but in Lara's company, especially when they were alone or with Hange, he became more cheerful and even playful. However, in the past week, Levi had shown to be a frighteningly angry person, and at one point, he furiously yelled at Lara for mistaking one of the movements of the ODM gear. Everyone around stared at him, scared, because Levi had never yelled like that at the girl. On that night, dinnertime was complete silence between the three of them.

Then, yesterday, on Friday, at about the end of the afternoon, Levi noticed that Lara seemed to be a little slower in the training and that sometimes, she seemed to breathe with difficulty. She had a haggard expression and her face was flushed. At dinnertime, neither Hange nor Lara went to the refectory.

Before going to the courtyard to meet his companions, Levi plucked up all the courage he had and decided to stop by Hange's bedroom to see if everything was okay and to find out why the girls hadn't gone to dinner last night. Just as he was about to knock on the door, it was thrown open by a completely disheveled Hange, who had an expression of extreme concern.

"Levi?!" she exclaimed in surprise. Hange closed the door and stood face-to- face with him. "What are you doing here? Shouldn't you have gone to Stohess by this time?"

"I-I..." stuttered Levi, staring at Hange from top to bottom, "I'm leaving just now. What's going on? Are you alright? Why didn't you two go to dinner yesterday?"

"It's Lara..." Hange looked down at her feet. Levi noticed she had dark circles under her eyes. "Since she got back from training yesterday, I noticed she wasn't feeling well. She's got a high fever and it's not going away! I stayed up all night trying to make it down but she didn't get any better," Hange's eyes became redder, "I'm gonna get more cold compresses for her right now."