|Chapter VI: Street Rat|

She held out her arms to either side of her, as she was swiftly walking now along the roof's edge and she was acting like it was a balance beam. Liliana crouched down on the rooftop above the area and she saw what appeared to be a single guy getting his ass kicked by at least six others.

She could hear shouting and pained grunts, as she cursed under her breath and she was shaking her head at the painful sounding grunts. "Dick is going to kill me." She muttered and she pulled out her staff and she sighed quietly. Liliana flipped the beacon on once again and she pulled out her phone.

"Kid getting beat up by gang. I might need some backup. Beacon has been activated, hurry if you can. Don't know how long this kid will last out here. Hurry up if you can." Her text read and she hurriedly pocketed her phone again.

Liliana carefully scampered across the roof edge toward the fire escape and she managed to jump down quickly, landing lightly and barely making any noise at all, as she dropped into the shadows. "What the fucking hell made you think that you could get away with boosting my car, asshole?!" That was Matthias and the sound of him shouting at someone again, it was making her blood boil red-hot with rage.

The sound of the staff clicking into full-length, it almost gave away her position but she still had a precious few seconds to spare and she used them. Her first strike quickly swept the feet out from under two of the attackers and she spun the bo quickly, cracking another one across the knees and the guy screamed in agony, as she heard a sharp snap and a sudden cracking sound.

Matthias and the other four turned to look at her, as he held a knife in his hand and she spun the staff with a determined air. "What the hell makes you think that you can beat us?" He asked and she shook her head at him.

"I didn't say shit about beating you. I just figured that I would stop a street kid from getting his ass beaten until he can't move. Why are you picking on street kids anyhow? Don't you have any other things to do?" Liliana knew the risks damn well of angering him, but she was trying to just simply draw his attention away from the teen, who was stirring from his unconscious state from the beating and lying in blood that was most likely his own. She had to buy time for Dick to get his ass over here.

One of the guys lunged at her and she swung out her staff hard and his wrist broke with a loud snapping sound and she kicked him hard in the knee and it broke, as he screamed and she was shaking her head. "Don't you have control over your cohorts?" She asked sharply.

"Why do you care? You're rich and you don't have to struggle for shit-" A smoke bomb went off and as soon as the boys were blinded, Liliana raced through them and she crouched next to the stirring teen, as Dick was taking care of the gang members and Matthias.

"Hey. Can you hear me?" Liliana asked and the boy started when he saw her and she collapsed the staff and put it away. "Hey, easy, I'm here to help." She promised and he hesitated, but he was nodding and she nodded with a small sigh. "All right. Up you go." She said and dimly in the smoke, she saw Dick as Robin and he looked over at her briefly before he nodded, pulling the disappearing act once again.

"Why the fuck are you helping me?" The guy asked once he was able to speak without slurring his words and she snorted, as she shook her head and unzipped the duffel bag, as she held out an ice pack to him.

"Put it on your eye." Was all that she had to say, as she looked at her shirt and jacket and they were covered in blood. Both his blood and the blood of the gang, before Dick had arrived. "Why the hell would you try to boost his car?" She asked and he scoffed.

"You need street cred to survive on the streets. Boosting cars is the easiest thing. Who the fuck are you anyways?" He repeated his question and she looked at the bo-staff in her hands and she extended it to its full length, as she spun it a few times. "I'm Jason Todd." He said and she was cleaning the blood off of the bo-staff with the edge of her shirt.

"Liliana. Don't you have parents?" Liliana asked and Jason snorted at her question, as he went silent and Liliana shook her head and she collapsed the staff again. "I got adopted and fostered by someone, a month after I was born." She said in response to the silence and Jason blinked a bit, as she put the staff back into her bag.

"What happened to your parents?" Jason asked and Liliana looked over her shoulder at him with raised eyebrows. "I mean your real parents." He said and she lifted her shoulders in a shrug and she shook her head.

"I was born posthumously. I never met them, never saw any pictures of them. All I know of them is the information that my brother gave me. What about you?" She asked as she popped open a bottle of water and she held it out to him. Jason took the bottle and he looked at her. "It was almost too painful for my elder brother to talk about them, let alone show me any pictures of them or in his case, see any of them."

"Dad was killed by Two-Face, Mom was a smack addict. You got any other family, apart from your brother?" Jason asked and she shook her head, as she opened another bottle of water and she drank it. "Me neither. My uncle's dead." He said and she raised her eyebrows. "Long story about that. How did you find me?" He asked and she scoffed.

"I followed the sound of your screaming." She answered and he rolled his eyes at her. "Nah, it was easier then that. I followed the sound of Matthias and his so-called "gang" being absolute shit-heads to anybody who happens to cross their paths." Liliana stated and he looked at her.

"Why did you help me?" Jason asked and she lifted her shoulders in a small shrug at the words.

"Nice to meet you Jason." Liliana answered and she slung her bag over her shoulder, as she walked away and Jason scoffed.

"Hey, what the hell man? You can't just save my ass and run!" But Liliana was already gone and Jason scoffed, shaking his head. "Actually, she can, idiot. Because you are beaten half to hell and she doesn't have a scratch on her." He muttered to himself, as he grunted and prepared himself for an exceedingly difficult night.