chapter 17

These last few times haven't been easy, I have to admit.

Aside from all that pressure we had to write new songs, I wasn't willing to work or be with Damiano at all. I never let my personal life interfere with my professional life, but this time it was kind of impossible. I mean, I may sound dramatic, but since I can remember I wanted music as a full-time job, I dreamed of one day playing at the Royal Albert, after all, in addition, to be a prestigious place, a lot of legendary artists had performed there. We could be the first Italian rock band to have a gig there. And that idiot just decided to deny it. After almost 2 weeks of some fun times, recording, and discussions, we've been able to create 8 songs for an album. Our first English ballad was one of our first songs that talked about failed love stories. And what a coincidence, isn't it?

And the more time passes, the closer Damiano's wedding gets. With therapy, some excesses in tranquilizers, and lots of nights spent on vodka, my psyche had finally accepted what would be a near future. But out of respect, I decided to confirm my presence at the wedding, with my partner. And you all must be thinking: "But... Vic doesn't date." You're right which is why I decided to pretend I had a boyfriend. The truth is that I have an easier time with girls, but for my 'plan' to work well, it had to be a boy. As I had told Leo 2 weeks ago: I would find a way to resolve that. And the best thing is that I did. After trying to think of my old friends, artists, and bandmates, one popped into my head: Lorenzo, Lorenzo Zurzolo. I met him because he had one of the main roles in a series that have Torna A Casa as a soundtrack when he invited me to his dressing room on the first day of shooting. We haven't talked much since then, but there was no shortage of press rumors of an affair between us a few years ago. When I called Lorenzo to ask if he wanted to be part of that adventure, he didn't even think twice and accepted right away.
Then I just talked with an ex-college colleague who is a photographer to take some pictures of us together, send them to a magazine contact, and in less than 2 days the photos were on the covers of magazines and some websites. Have I ever thought of doing such a thing like that? No. But I think almost no one measures their attitudes or decisions when they want to be jealous or get revenge on something. For real, you all had to see Damiano's face when I confirmed my presence at the wedding and said that my partner was that boy who he never saw with good eyes.

To celebrate the completion of our new project, Damiano invited us to dinner at one of the best restaurants in Rome. This was the perfect opportunity for me 'introduce' Lorenzo to all of them, even though they had already met him by the time we visited Baby's set. In a way, this whole faking relationship things were being very interesting for both me and him, not at least because the whole internet liked to see us together and also because that was somehow strengthening our friendship.

In the heat of a spring night, he and I went hand in hand, walking together to the restaurant, which was about 5 minutes away from where I parked my car. He was wearing dark blue pants, a white button-up shirt, and an oversized blazer. And I, with a short black dress, a knee-high boot and a small necklace with a cross. I rarely wear dresses, so I decided to save those special times for really 'important' moments. We arrived there, and I could see my reflection and his on the floor. I noticed that with each step I climbed the stairs, Lorenzo's hand got sweaty, which made me a little worried.

"What's going on?" I asked, trying to calm him down.

"Nothing... I, I don't know if I can do this."

"You can. If you feel uncomfortable at any time, you can squeeze me tight, ok?"

"Okay..."

As we finished climbing all those steps, I noticed that all eyes on that floor were focused on us. More specifically, at the last table on the right, where Thomas, Leo, Ethan, and Damiano were seated.

"Good night."

"Good night!" said Ethan, a little surprised.

Their facial expressions said it all: they were partially shocked. Especially Thomas, who is very good friends with Alice, Lorenzo's best friend. The only one who knew that it was all arranged was Le, who also helped us spread the fake paparazzi photos. I felt like I was in those very cliché movies, and I was enjoying that feeling.

In the first part of the dinner, everything was relatively normal, and Lorenzo was acting very naturally. It's like he'd said to me in the car: "Never doubt an actor's abilities."

When dessert arrived, he squeezed my thigh eagerly. I was trying to understand if that was also part of the show, or if it was that sign of discomfort. Then the glint of his blue eyes met my gaze, and that's when I realized it was a sign. Discreetly, I went to the porch and pulled him by the hand.

"So, Lorenzo, how do you feel?"

"Normal, but... Damiano is looking at me like he wants to punch me or something."

"You know, Damiano is like that. He only values what he has when he loses it. Wait a minute, he's looking at us."

"He who?"

-"AMIANO!" I said, whispering. "Lorenzo, kiss me."

"Me what?"

"Kiss me!"

"But... you don't want that, do you?"

"No, but it has to be."

"It doesn't have to be if you don't want to."

"Believe me, I want to."

"But you said just now that you didn't want to."

"That doesn't matter now, Zuh. Imagine you are reading a script, and there is a kissing scene between the two main characters."

"But... are we the main characters?"

"Stop asking complicated questions! Just imagine that."

"I don't know if I can do that."

"Lorenzo, you're an ACTOR! And a very good one by the way."

"Ok, let's do this."

Slightly tense, he took me by both arms and kissed me, lightly pressing his lips against mine. Then he grabbed my neck with one hand, and my waist with the other, starting to deepen the kiss even more, and so did I. When he took his lips from mine, a very strong flash came to my eyes, coming from upstairs. Yes, we were being photographed that whole time, and I didn't realize it earlier because I had my eyes closed while I kissed him. I appreciated that kiss, even though it was completely staged.

We went to the table as if nothing had happened. Dami was staring at me, but I wasn't even brave enough to look him in the eyes. After we drink a little more, we left the restaurant, having caught some rain along the way. While the others waited in an area sheltered from the rain, I picked up my car from the parking lot, which was a few minutes' walk away. As I pulled into the parking lot, I started to hear someone else's footsteps. Discreetly, I looked back afraid it was some stalker or even a paparazzi. But no, it was Damiano.

"Hi, again," he said, starting to walk toward me.

"Hi..."

"Vic, wait," he said, holding me by the arm.

When he grabbed me, I looked back at his face. For a moment I thought he was going to kiss me. Like me, he had two giant dark circles under his eyes and a tired face. I've been avoiding looking him in the eye for a long time because I already knew what happens next.

"What is it?"

"Here," he said giving me a red invitation. "In 5 days it will be my bachelor party if you want to go..."

"Ahh, ok... I'll think about it."

-

hiiii!
thanks for the 2000 readings, it means so much for me♡

tks also for reading <3
mel.