Chapter 36: Dear Jean

{Long Chapter Ahead - 4,300 words}

"Those man-eating titans that menace humanity so...are in fact humans. They are "subjects of Ymir," a race with whom we share a common ancestry. Our king built these walls a hundred years ago...then used the power of the titans to alter the people's memories making them believe that humanity had disappeared beyond the walls. But humanity hasn't disappeared. They call us the subjects of Ymir...a "race of devils." Peaure said. He's a rookie journalist from the Berg newspaper in Stohess district. He's also one of the people who helped in the coup d'etat.

Luciana, Levi amd Hange have come to Berg newspaper establishment in Stohess district to share the truth to their trusted newspapermen.

Levi's standing in front of the window while Hange and Luciana are sitting on their chairs in front of the round table along with Roy and Peaure.

"Our enemies will begin an invasion of this land in the near future under the pretext pf acquiring it's resources. And the attacks that began five years ago, spearheaded by the colossal titan, were a part of that....the article is already out amd circulating, but...would you vouch for that story's aunthenticity?" Peaure asked Hange.

Levi sat back down on his chair. He's in between Luciana and Hange, while Roy and Peaure are in front of them.

"At the very least. It matches up with the questions and doubts we've had all this time. I don't want to believe it...of course, I don't." Hange said.

Luciana picked up her cup of tea and sipped on it, then she looked at Roy. "So...what's the town's reaction?"

Roy let out a deep sigh. "Hard to say. Some are simply accepting it. Some let out a laugh. Some who still object to military rule are coming up with conspiracies to spread. The people are in a state of confusion, just as you had feared." Roy said, then sighed again.

Luciana just nod at Roy as a response.

"Yes....But it was unavoidable. Our job is to survey and report. We let the taxpayers decide what to do with that information. In that, at least, things are better now." Hange said.

Roy and Peaure smiled after what Hange said. "I'm very proud of all of you. As someone who lives inside the same walls as you...and as a fellow working man." Roy said.

Hange went silent. A light blush crept onto her cheeks. Hange scoffed and looked down. "Thanks." Hange said

"Yeah...so maybe next time you can put the survey corps in a better light." Levi said.

Hange frowned because of what Levi said while the two Roy and Peaure chuckled. Luciana smiled behind her tea cup. "What is...going to happen to us next?" Roy asked. "We've looked at the titans...with fear, with hate, and with the wish in our hearts that they would vanish from this world. But now we find...that people out in the world...have seen us not as humans, but as harmful monstrosities."

"And that means...if we have to experience that hell again..."

Roy held his tea cup.

"It will not end...until we're annihilated." Roy said, making the mood in the room heavy and gloomy.

(A/n: Y'all have read the extra pages of capter 139? It actually make sense. That boy who found Ymir's tree(?). He probably deadass went inside and the power of the titans became alive again. Just like Roy said, it will not end unless all Eldians in the world are gone.)

- The Next Day -

(At the awarding ceremony for the survey corps and memoriel ceremony for their deceased comrades.)