Chapter 16

Today is the day we leave on our camping trip. It's going to be the worst weekend of my life. "Lily, Drake is here." My mom calls from the intercom.

I grab my duffel bag filled with my clothes and any other necessities I might need. I slowly trudge down the stairs, and I see Drake and George having a conversation about who won the latest football game.

"Hey." I say to no one in particular.

Drake's gaze snaps to mine. "Hey, are you ready to go?"

"Yeah." I say flatly.

I say my goodbyes, and we head out to his car. "Do I have to go?" I groan out.

"Yes! Get more excited! We get to hang out with our friends all weekend."

"Yeah it would be fun, if we didn't have to go camping."

"Don't be a Debbie Downer." Drake tells me with an eye roll.

"Well, don't be a Positive Polly." I retort back before sticking my tongue out at him. So mature, I know.

We drive to school in a comfortable silence. When we get there kids are already loading up on the big yellow school bus.

Drake practically drags me onto the bus. He gently pushes me in a seat against the window, and he sits beside me. I'm trapped. I have no escape plan.

It takes about an hour or two to get there. "Welcome to the outdoors!" Mr. Dean says to the bus full of kids. More like welcome to my worst nightmare. "We are limited on tents, so you have to get in groups of three. Remember boys and girls will be separated."

Megan, Halley and I make our way off the bus to set up our tent. I look at the pile of poles and material. I haven't been camping since my dad left, and he always put up the tent. "How do you build a tent?" I ask.

Megan chuckles. "It's easy." She states before grabbing the tent equipment and starts to put it together. Halley helps out a little, while I stand on the sidelines. "There. All done." Megan states with a smile, while she dusts off her hands.

"How did you do that so fast?" I ask her with wide eyes.

"My dad takes me camping often, and I love the outdoors." She said with a cheeky grin.

I felt a small tug when she mentioned her father taking her camping. I miss having father-daughter bonding. I decide I need to get rid of any negative thoughts and try to have a good time.

Drake, Derek and Drew make their way over to us. "So after all the adults go sleep, there's going to be a party down by the lake. Are y'all ladies in?" Drew asks us.

Party? I haven't been to one since that night. Lily, do not hyperventilate. Breathe in and out. In. Out. Drake must've seen my discomfort before pulling me away from the group.

"Lily, we don't have to go. I will stay with you, and we can hang out together." Drake tells me

I think about it for a while. "No. It's fine. I'm tired of letting that night keep me from doing things."

"Are you sure?" Drake asks me.

"Positive. Just please don't let me get drunk." Drake nods in agreement before we make it back to the group.

"So are y'all in?" Derek asks us.

"Oh yeah!" I say getting hyped up about it.

"Everyone gather around please." Mr. Dean says. "Today we will be going fishing. Everyone in your group must catch at least one fish. When everyone has a caught a fish, you will come back here and create a fire. Next y'all will cook each fish, and it must be edible. This will be for a grade."