The Drums

GWYN'S POV

She had left Azriel in her bedroom as she went downstairs to help finish up the final decorations of Fire Night. When she had finished walking him through the gardens, they had eaten dinner before he had taken her upstairs.

The unlit bonfires had already been set up on the knolls, tables had been set into between them for those who decided to eat before the true Rite, and the drums set up.

When she had deemed at the preparations ready, she headed towards her father's office to advise him.

She had entered without knocking to find him buried into some paperwork.

"Sorry to interrupt the daunting task of paperwork," Gwyn said and Tamlin drew his attention to her . "but I thought I just let you know that the preparations for Calanmai are all set."

He gave her an appreciative smile, "Thank you, Gwyn." After a pause, Tamlin said, "I heard that the Shadowsinger arrived today." Gwyn nodded. "Interesting," he hummed softly and Gwyn barely caught it. She realized that Azriel's reason for coming was highlighted with the Rite.

She left his office with a goodbye and flushing terribly.

"What's got you all worked up?" A familiar voice asked her. Gwyn turned to the voice. Lennan had her floppy black hair in braids and wore a simple yellow dress.

They both walked up to hug each other, it was the first time Gwyn had seen her since when she last left the Spring Court.

"Nothing," Gwyn pulled away. "How have you been?"

They walked outside, towards a bench in the garden, as they caught up. Lennan had
found someone since the last time Gwyn saw her and Gwyn teased her about the way she looked completely whipped for the female that got her heart.

At somewhat, near the end of their conversation, Lennan's focus has drifted to something behind her. Gwyn felt his shadows and his presence.

Lennan hugged Gwyn and told her they would talk soon before getting up and nodding her head to Azriel in passing.

Gwyn shifted so she faced her mate, who had donned a loose white linen shirt and loose grey breeches instead of his usually Illyrian leather armor.

"You weren't there when I woke up," he said in greeting and Gwyn threw him an amused look. "My shadows woke me up, telling me you left."

He sat down next to her. "Sorry you didn't have your cuddles today," she teased him and he pressed a not-so-gentle touch to the edge of her wing. She hissed at the rush of sensation and glared at her mate. "Hey!"

He feigned innocence and raised his hands, "What?" Gwyn rolled her eyes and shifted her body so she press her head against his chest. His wings fueled around them, shielding out the sun. "I think you are the one that relies on the cuddles," he pointed out once Gwyn got more comfortable.

"Shut up," she mumbled and pressed her head deeper into his chest. She didn't know why she felt so tired, especially after just waking up a few hours ago.

Azriel brought up one of his mottled hands and brushed it her loose hair. "Calanmai is tomorrow." With her eyes close, she hummed her response. "Are you still sure you want to participate, even if it's not technically fully participating?"

She opened up her eyes to stare at him and found him already having all his attention her. She grabbed the hand in her hair and brought it down to her lap. Her started to rub soothing circles on the scarred skin, "I'm sure, I'm excited and a bit nervous but a good type of nervous. Because it's something new."