Taste and Touch

GWYN'S POV

Gwyn woke up to calming warmth surrounding her. Small beams of light flowed through the reddish membrane of Azriel's wing. Her head rested on his chest, their legs tangled together. Their shadows where around the room, twining themselves together, having a moment of their own.

Studying the grooves of his wings, she truly realized how big his wingspan truly was. Her mind briefly went back to what Cassian had explained about wingspans and correlating to other body parts.

She felt heat rose to her cheeks at her thoughts. If what they said (and she felt) was true, there was no possible way that he would fit inside of her....

Why was she thinking this way?...

Azriel shifting underneath brought her back to the moment in front of her. The wing covering the rays of sunlight moved behind him causing Gwyn to groan at the sudden light that hit her eyes.

Azriel tightened his hold against her. "Go back to sleep," Gods, his morning voice.

Gwyn nuzzled her nose against his chest. "I can't." It was true. Although it was one of the few nights she slept without nightmares, she couldn't find herself to be lulled to sleep again.

She felt his questions through the bond, but was glad that he didn't voice them. Comforting silence wrapped around them. They didn't say anything for a while, just basking in each other's presence.

Gwyn still couldn't believe it. That her mate was alive. She knew that she still wouldn't believe months ahead.

Her siphons flickered in the corner of her room, bring Azriel's attention to them.

"My siphons..." he said. She could sense his confusion.

Gwyn cleared her throat, "I was struggling to control my powers. Rhysand brought up the idea to get me siphons. Cassian helped me search for some and the pull led me to yours."

Azriel was silent, she could tell that he was still processing her words, how it was possible that his siphons called to someone else when they are supposed to only have one sole owner.

"You have siphons," he finally said and Gwyn nodded against his chest.

"How... who," she struggled to voice her question. How would that work now that he was back? Who would get them? Would they be split? Many question filled her head.

"I don't know, but if we share the same shadows and siphons.... I have my suspicions."

"Care to share them with me?"

"I want to make sure my suspicions are true, before saying anything."

Gwyn rose on her elbow, looking down at Azriel as she raised her brows. He just raised his brows back at her. She fought to urge to smile but couldn't help it. Azriel's eyes softened at the sight of her smile, and he smiled back. He sat up and pressed his lips to her temple.

"Thank you for giving this a chance. For giving me a chance," he said softly.

"We made a promised to be with each other, through darkness and all. I will always give you a chance Az."

She finished by pressing a kiss to his lips. Not like the urgent, pressing ones of last night. A kiss filled with promises and love.

He tasted of cedar and night-chilled mist. Their lips moved slowly together, a loving dance.

She didn't know who pulled away first, but they stayed together, pressing their brows together. Breathing the same air.

———————