Secrets and Surprises

Tamlin was sitting on his hind legs, still in his beast form. The horsed-like creature was staring back at Azriel with his forest green eyes, his head somewhat tilted to the side.

Azriel slowly looked over to where Rhysand was sitting behind the wooden desk. Azriel could tell that Rhysand was wearing his own mask, the one he puts on when he goes to the Court of Nightmares. Rhys nods for Azriel to sit at one of the chairs placed in front of the desk.

"Now that Azriel is here, we should continue with our conversation," Rhysand said in a bored tone. His eyes bared no emotions at all.

"What is he doing here," Azriel speaks into Rhysand's bond that he has for his Inner Circle.

"Listen to what he is going to say," the High Lord of the Night Court responds.

"As I was telling Rhysand, I've been getting recurring dreams and nightmares. One that involves a young female with copper-brown hair and turquoise eyes, the young female reminds me of one of my escapades during Calanmai around 30 years ago," the beast pauses while he glares intently at Rhysand.

"Why should we care about these dreams," Rhysand asks with a curious tone as he leans forward in his chair and folds his hands on the desk. Azriel stays still observing the conversation between the High Lord and beast.

You know the one he speaks about in his dreams, Azriel's shadows tell him, making Azriel stiffen in his chair. Rhysand notices this action and looks at him, worry and question flashes quickly in those violet eyes.

Are you ok, Rhys asks in Azriel's mind, but Azriel regains his composure and answers

I'll tell you about it once he leaves. And with that Rhysand looks back to the beast.

"I have reason to believe that this young female is my daughter, making her the sole heir of the Spring Court," Tamlin responds. "I have spent the last few months trying to figure out who the person from Calanmai was. She turned out to be a lesser fae who was part River Nymph," Azriel realizes now what his shadows meant, but doesn't let anything go through his mask this time. "She was given to the temple at Sangravah before Calanmai. During Calanmai, she conceived twins. They were named Catrin and Gwyneth. I'm sure you heard what happened with Hybern and the sacking of the temple, which lead to the death of one my daughters Catrin. What happened to Gwyneth, I do not know until I received news that she won the Blood Rite a few weeks ago."

"I do know of this Gwyneth. What happened to her at Sangravah is not something I have the right to tell you. She has taken residence up here in the Night Court, that much I can confirm." Rhysand said, looking towards Azriel as if telling him to tell Tamlin what he knew about his daughter.

"I trained your daughter for a few months. I wouldn't tell her of this news. Her trauma is still fresh. She needs more time to recover. Until then, I think we should wait to tell her this news." Azriel says. Gwyn was nowhere near ready to leave the library. Although she did not let anyone else see, she would still freeze up when you would stare at her too long. She was doing well until the Blood Rite when she was taken by force away from Emerie's home. And with Nesta and Cassian's mating ceremony coming up, Gods know if she will be able to go?

Tamlin seemed to sink in Azriel's words carefully before responding, "What can you tell me about her trauma. Maybe I can help her."

Azriel looked to Rhysand and he nodded to Az to proceed, "She was present that night in Sangravah. She witnessed her sister's death and then was violated in no way someone should be. I arrived before the situation could worse than it already was." That night still played over in Azriel's head. If he had only arrived earlier, Gwyn might not have been violated.

You got there as quickly as you could. Stop beating yourself about it, Rhysand responded as Azriel put up his mental shields. He tried to let the incident pass him, but for some reason, he couldn't help but feel guilty for failing Gwyn.

"I think if she were to know that she still has living family out there looking for her, it would help her," Tamlin responds. "She thinks she is alone in the world, after what happened. Maybe being with family will help her heal."

"You sure have changed. But how do I know that you will keep her hostage in Spring Court if she wants to leave? Will we have another Feyre situation," Rhysand asks. Tamlin did seemed to have changed, but as Rhys said, it might be part of a bigger scheme. You can never know with Tamlin.

Regret and anger flash through the beast's eyes. "I know now that what I did with Feyre was wrong. I apologize although I think the apology will only be sincere if I apologize to Feyre herself. As for Gwyn, she needs to return to the Spring Court. Since I know of her existence, her powers as my heir will now start to show. She will need to learn how to control it if she is to be my heir. "

"We can teach Gwyn her powers here, in the Night Court. But I have to agree with Azriel when telling her that she is the sole heir of the High Lord of the Spring Court. "

Tamlin seems to sit on what Rhysand says. "When do you think she will be ready to accept her role?"

"We have no rush and the healing process should not be something to be rush," Rhysand says.

Tamlin opens his muzzle but shuts it quickly. Rhysand tilts his head slightly, taking in this action. Azriel too observed this and realized that Tamlin is hiding something from them.

He is telling the truth about his intentions with Gwyn, but he is leaving something out, Rhysand's echoes in Azriel's mind.

"I would like to meet her in person, whether she knows who I am or not. I would like to meet my daughter," Tamlin states strongly.

"Give her time," Azriel growls. "She gets uncomfortable with males, even with ones she has come to befriend. You will give her time to heal and when she is ready, only when she is ready, she will come to talk to you."

As Azriel finishes talking, shock shines through Tamlin's eyes as he stares at the Shadowsinger; most likely because a bastard-born spymaster is telling a High Lord what to do. Tamlin moves his head to Rhysand and Rhysand's face went still, which Azriel knew meant he was talking mind-to-mind with someone. That someone being Tamlin, Azriel pieced together. Rhysand's violet eyes were sparked with shock and happiness as he looked at Azriel. Azriel could not have been any more confused.

Tamlin got up from the floor and bowed his head to Rhysand. Before winnowing away, he looked to Azriel and said, "I'll be back in two months to see how she is doing." With that, Tamlin was no longer standing the river estate.

"Speak of surprises and coincidence. Nesta just happens to be very close friends with Gwyn," Rhysand says as he takes off his mask. He looks to Azriel, violent eyes sparkling again. "Azriel, you will be training Gwyn. She might have multiple powers. She has a mix of Autumn Court and Spring Court in her blood along with being part River Nymph."

Azriel nods, "How will we be bringing up her powers without telling her who she truly is?"

"We can either wait to see her powers present themselves or we tell her that we want to see what abilities she has due to her heritage. That part will be up to you," Rhysand responds before adding, "I want you to be giving me weekly updates on your progress with her. "

"Are we telling everyone else," Azriel asks?

Rhysand stands from his chair and lets his wings appear from wherever they go. "I will tell Feyre and maybe Armen. As for the rest of them, let's keep them in dark so there are fewer chances of Gwyn finding out before she has to. "

"Why doesn't Feyre help her. Gwyn might not be comfortable spending so much time with a male," the last thing Azriel wanted and needed was for Gwyn to stop training because she felt uncomfortable. Azriel would do anything to help her.

Rhysand gave a knowing smile, "Something tells me that she will not feel uncomfortable with you. And with that, I need to go get Nyx from Feyre. I'll hear from you soon" He winks before winnowing to Feyre, leaving Azriel to his thoughts on how to confront Gwyn.

Hello again! Thank you again for reading.... this is my first time writing anything and its so hard to write down all of your ideas without getting carried away. Please don't forget to like and comment!

Until next time.