Wings and Pity

AZRIEL'S POV

It had been a week since Gwyn chose Azriel to stay with her in the Spring Court. He barely talked or came into contact with her. He wondered if she thought that choosing him to be the one to stay was a mistake.

Her schedule consisted of waking up at six and eating breakfast an hour later. After eating she would spend her time in Rosehall's library for two hours. At nine, she went for a run around the court. By the time she would finish her run, it would be time for lunch. After lunch, she would spend the rest of her day training with Tamlin until dinner time. Azriel had stayed hidden in the shadows most of the time. While hidden, he would catch up on work Rhysand had piled onto him. During her trainings with Tamlin, he gave her privacy and left her alone with the beast. The more he saw them together, the more resemblance he saw between them.

Their rage was utterly the same. From what Azriel remembered of Tamlin's human form, their faces were similar too.

He would normally go out to fly during her trainings, trying to clear his mind. One day he found a cliff that overlooked the sunset. From the first sunset he saw he was captivated by the cliff. As the oranges mixed with yellows, the branches of the trees swayed quietly to music of the wind. He had gone there everyday since,

It was on the twelfth day, when Azriel heard a beautiful voice singing down below the cliff. His shadows sang, begging Azriel to take them closer. He flew down from the cliff, and was surprised to see Gwyn in the small river that was below it. She had a slight glow to her and something about her made Azriel want to go to her. It was different than the other times, when it was the mating bond's pull. This time felt compelling. He took a quiet step forward.

Gwyn was almost fully submerged, only her face was seen above the water. Her lovely copper hair was wet and stuck to her nape. Her eyes were closed, concealing the beautiful blue underneath. He took another step forward, he was getting closer to the small lake. Her pale skin with spots of copper was lovely against the dark blue of the lake. He took a few more steps forward and he felt his shoes get wet against the small current. Her head was slanted forward and her mouth was slightly open; the most beautiful angelic noises were coming out. Azriel's shadows started to slither away from his body to go to her. He reeled them in, his lease stronger than usual, he didn't want her to stop singing. In fact, he wanted to join her, strip himself bare for her. He wanted to sing for her, something he has never done for anyone, except his mother.

He stepped forward into the water, creating splashing noise as the water hit him against the shins. This noise alerts Gwyn, making stop singing and snap her head towards Azriel. Her eyes are open, but they aren't the shades of turquoise Azriel was used to, instead they were pitch black and called him in even closer; his shadows straining against his tight lease. She blinked once and gone was the black. Her eyes were turquoise once more and Azriel no longer felt that compelling pull towards her. Azriel immediately read the emotion in her eyes, she was frightened. Azriel silently cursed himself before stepping out of the water.

"Di-did I hurt you?" Gwyn stuttered as her voice wavered.

"No, not at all," Azriel spoke to her softly. Her face relaxed in relief that he was safe, but the relief only lasted a moment before panic took over. She look to where her body was hidden in the water and her cheeks started to lightly color. Confused, Azriel tilted his head slightly. His shadows broke from their reigns and floated to her. Gwyn just kept staring at Azriel, heat kept rising to her cheeks. His shadows ran through her damp hair and around the water.

She has no clothing on, one of his shadows told him and Azriel swore he heard a sense of smugness come from it. Azriel's eyes widened and realized that Gwyn must have been uncomfortable.