chapter 24

Jack's POV

"So yeah. I guess my life was a lie to you but there were good reasons why I did lie." She said. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I am a horrible person for never seeing any of this or even asking how she was feeling, it was my fault and I had failed her. I could have prevented the assault by Bryce and I should have known that something was going on at her house, I mean she was always at mine and she never allowed me to go over to hers, I didn't see the red flags. 

"I don't even know what to say. I'm sorry Wes," I got up from my seat and walked over to the other side and held her against my body. "I should have seen this, I failed you. I'm so sorry." I held her as she cried on my shirt, I could still smell the coffee on her and her honey-smelling shampoo, I loved her in so many ways. "Let's go home," I said, her head raised, her eyes now looking up into mine. I moved her hair behind her ear and kissed her on the head gently. Her body moved out of the booth, her hand extending to mine, and pulled me out after her. She pushed her body into the door and led the way out of the diner. Her hair flows in the wind and her laugh is heard. 

She jumped into my car, leaving hers in the parking lot to pick up later. The drive to the house wasn't far. Her hands began to rub together, she picked at her cuticles and her leg was now bouncing from anxiety. I put my hand in hers, comforting her. As we arrived, we made eye contact and she nodded her head to me. I got out and opened her door for her, she was slowly following me to the front door. It was like she wanted to be unseen at the house again. I could see Luke was watching ESPN highlights on the couch through the living room window and I knew mom and dad were at work. I opened the front door quietly. Luke turned his head toward me, Wes' body came out from behind me and his eyes lit up but after meeting hers, confusion was written all over it. His mouth opens to speak but nothing comes out. She still stands there as if the world is paused. I put my hand behind her back to guide her out of the room to the stairs going down to the basement which is where my room was. As we reached the door of my room, she looked back at me before slowly turning the door handle. She sat on my bed as I sat down in my chair, grabbing my PS5 controller and handing her one. She smiled as she grabbed it from my hands, I then sat next to her starting the game, of course, it being NHL2019. It was like old times, yelling at each other and pushing each other as we played. I kept feeling my phone buzz in my joggers, pausing the game and grabbing it to see who it was making sure Wes didn't see the screen. Quinn. Wes got up and told me she was going to go to the bathroom. He was requesting a FaceTime call. After she left the room I answered the phone. His face popped up, it didn't look happy or sad particularly but I knew he had been struggling after the breakup. 

"Hey, Jack." He said into the phone 

"Hey" I responded quietly making sure she did not hear me. "What's up?" 

"Nothing much, I had an off day and just wanted to talk about it but if you are busy that's fine, we can talk later." He said, I couldn't even answer before I was cut off. 

"Hey Jack, I brought you back a Gatorade" Wes said as she walked back into my room.

"Jack is that h-" He said as I hung upon on him, not letting him finish his sentence. I looked up to see Wes, trying to swallow the tears in her eyes away.

"I'm sorry," I said as I got up and gave her a hug, her body squeezing me hard. 

I am so sorry that I have not updated in almost a month. I got back to college, got covid, and now am taking night classes on top of everything. I will be updating once a week for sure (which will be on Friday midday) and possibly Sunday nights. 

xoxo,

missjennagrace

You're not alone! Please seek help if needed.

Information about abuse.

Call: 1-800-799-safe (7233)

or TTY 1-800-787-3244

Text: "START" to 88788

The National Suicide Prevention Hotline:

1-800-273-8255

If you are having thoughts of hurting yourself please reach out to a trusted friend, family, or crisis line. My messages are also always open.