1.1- Aurora

I was roused by the sound of my phone ringing

I was roused by the sound of my phone ringing. Without glancing at the caller ID, I answered. "Hello?" I inquired, unsure of who was on the line.

"Good morning, sunshine; it's time for you to wake up and tame your bird's nest of hair," came the familiar voice.

"What do you want, Lucas? Why are you calling me at seven in the morning?" I asked, growing aggravated. "Alright, Pinky Pie, let's calm down. I was just wondering when you're planning to return to school since you've been absent for about two weeks. What's up with that anyway?" 

Indeed, it has been some time since I attended the classes, but it's challenging to do so with half of my face swollen. "I have to go today; otherwise, they might contact Child Protective Services."

"Okay, Pinky Pie," he says. I loathe the nickname; he has been using it for the last two years, and I still despise it with every fibber of my being. "Don't call me that," I insist. "Why not? I think it's the perfect nickname since you radiate the same energy as the pink pony," he retorts.

"Same energy, my ass," I mumbled.
"What was that? I didn't catch it."
"Nothing; I just thought how much I hate you."
"Yeah, yeah, I love you too. Bye."
"See you later."

Every time I've attempted to leave, they've always found me. I'm not sure if they have connections in high places or what. But each time I've tried to leave, the consequences have been the worst part of it.

"Aurora, where do you think you're going?" she asked, and I halted. "I'm headed to school, ma'am," I replied.

"Look at me when I'm speaking to you, or must I call Jackson?" she said, her words laced with venom. She is aware of my fear of him. Having lived with them my entire life, I've witnessed more than enough violence. Most of it was towards me.

"Leave; I don't have the patience to deal with you at the moment, but remember, when you come back, Jackson is going to have his fun," she said with that psychotic smile. I turned and walked out the door.

I stepped out, pulled my phone from my pocket, and called Lucas.

He picked up on the third ring.

"Hey Luc, can you pick me up?" I said, beginning to feel lightheaded as I walked.

"Hey, Pinky Pie, where are you?" he asked.

"I'm on my way to school but near the old playground," I replied.

The playground was our usual hangout spot.

"What's wrong? You don't sound right," Lucas always had a protective streak, like an older brother, ready to lend an ear or share a quiet moment whenever I needed it.

"Everything is fine. Can you just come?" I asked, settling on the bench to wait for him to pull up. "Okay, I'm on my way! See you soon," he replied swiftly before ending the call. "Okay," I murmured to myself, plugging in my earphones and beginning to listen to the playlist he had made for me.