2.11

There's a fine line between alive and dead

Smoke began to accumulate in the warehouse, causing everyone to get lightheaded, "Мамa, мне страшно" Arabella whispered to her mother as gunshots rang out. Terrified at the thought of losing her family, she gripped her mother's hands. Despite her young age, she was aware of the dangers surrounding their family; her father had always been transparent with his children. If they wished to be in a room full of criminals, they were allowed, but they were never obligated to stay.

"I know, princess, but once everything is over, you can have a happy life, both of you." Aurora inhaled deeply as she kissed her daughters' foreheads, hoping it wouldn't be the last time. "I would never let anyone hurt you; you're going to get out of here, and you're going to be happy." She was aware that this story could conclude in one of two ways: either with her demise or Lorenzo's, and she wished for the latter.

Bullets whizzed overhead as people screamed in the warehouse. Aurora's gaze swept the room, desperately searching for her husband and best friend. After scanning past numerous individuals, her eyes finally settled on Alice. A sigh of relief escaped her, grateful to see Alice was alive.

On the opposite side of the warehouse, Alessandro yelled at his brother, "What the fuck, Alfonzo?" who had shot him in the arm, preventing him from shooting Aurora. He didn't respond but merely watched his older brother as he aimed his gun. "You destroyed my happiness when you caused that fire, killing them. I won't let you do that to anyone else," Alfonzo declared, and he pulled the trigger.

He rushed to the three girls who were seated on the chairs and knelt behind them. "Aurora, I'm going to get your girls out of here," he told Aurora as he cut the ropes that bound her wrist. He gave her his gun, and she nodded. Unsure of whether to trust him, she felt an instinctual assurance that he would not deceive her. "Okay."

Aurora helped Alfonzo untie the girls before giving them the last kiss and handing them over to Alfonzo. "Mama loves you both." He lifted the girls, managing to cradle them with one arm while using the other to shield them.

He was almost at the back door when a familiar voice stopped him. "Where are you taking them?" Alice asked him with a raised gun. "I told you I would get them out of here, didn't I?" he said with a smirk. "Ensure no one follows and stay safe for me." He handed her a burner phone and exited the warehouse, heading towards the SUV.

He got the girls into the car and locked the doors before driving away. Looking back at the warehouse, he saw smoke coming out of the door he had left.  The only thing he wished for was that everyone would get out alive.

The gunfire persisted in the warehouse, and Alice took her position beside her brother. Together, they engaged in defending each other and fighting side by side.

"Well, isn't this a beautiful view, darling?" Lorenzo inquired, pressing a knife against Aurora's neck. "Definitely, but it would look even better with your dead body in it," she whispered back, a sly smile on her face as she slipped from his grasp and aimed Alfonzo's gun at Lorenzo.

The line between dead and alive is thin. In one instant, you're breathing; in the next, you might be lying in a pool of your own blood.

Two shots rang out as Aurora pushed Aleksei to the ground, but only one struck the wall behind them. "Hey," Aurora whispered with a smile, and Aleksei mirrored her gesture.

The gunfire faded into darkness as Aurora looked down on her shirt, which was starting to soak up blood. "Well, that's not good," she muttered just before darkness enveloped her as well.

"Alice, we need to get our people out of here immediately. This place is going to explode in five minutes!" Alexandra yelled into the earpiece, her voice competing with the sound of gunfire.

"Get up! we have to get Aurora and you both to the doctor," Alice told her older brother as she helped him lift Aurora up.

"Four minutes," announced a voice through the earpiece as the two of them walked out of the warehouse. A car pulled up in front of them and Alexandra rolled down the windows "Get inside now or we are all dead."