1.2- Aurora

As I stepped out of the office and headed to the library, my thoughts raced on high speed

As I stepped out of the office and headed to the library, my thoughts raced on high speed. And with the whirlwind of questions swirling in my mind, I found myself at a loss for emotions.

What does he mean by 'living with my real family'? Why wasn't I with them before? Why do they suddenly want me to live with them now? Why did they give me up in the first place?

My train of thought was interrupted by the ringing of my phone. As I glanced at the caller ID, I saw that it was an unknown number. "Hello, who is this?" I inquired, anticipating a response.

"Hello, Aurora, it's Alijah, your brother. I've come to pick you up, so please come outside if you can," said a masculine voice from the other side. "I'll be waiting at the front gate," he added. "Okay, I guess we'll see you soon?" I replied, though it sounded more like a question. As I ended the call and began walking out of the school, I was stopped by Lucas.

"What's up, Luca?" I wasn't even in the mood to talk with him or anyone, to be honest. "Why were you in the office? where are you going? Are you going to disappear again? Who was that man on the phone?" Geez, it looks like the only thing he does is speak. I know it sounds bitchy, but every time he sees me, he asks unnecessary questions about what his business isn't.

"Calm down. The reason I was in the office was that my so-called perfect adoptive parents died in the explosion," I said with fake sadness. Nobody knew what was going on inside the house; everyone thought that I had a picture-perfect family and life.

"And I'm going to meet the person on the phone, also known as Alijah, my older brother, and I don't know if I'm going to disappear again," I told him.
"Okay, be safe, Pinky Pie," he smiled at me, and I returned it.

I exited the school and crossed the parking lot. Reaching the gate, I began to survey the surroundings and noticed a man, no older than thirty-five, approaching. My gaze shifted to his car, and I must say, it was truly stunning—no exaggeration.

I smiled and asked him, "You must be Alijah?"

"Yes, I am, and I'm honoured to finally meet you; your name has changed from Jones to Martinez." He was genuinely smiling at me. "Martinez?" I asked him sceptically.

"Yup, that's correct. We can go by your old house so you can get back your stuff," he said with a comforting smile. I nodded but my face still sat emotionless. He gave me his phone and I put in the address.

"So, Aurora, how do you feel about living with older brothers and our parents? I'm sorry for your loss; you must be devastated," he told me.

"I don't know; to be honest, I guess I'm confused; everything is just so much to take in," I answered him honestly.

"You have six older brothers, including me," he said while stopping at my old house.

He looked shocked; I don't know what he expected. The house had 2 floors; the white colour was slightly peeling off; the front porch was missing some of the flooring; and the door had holes in it. It looked like a house at the end of the horror movie.