Chapter 32: Abandoned

- It's time

Alberu turns on his main communication device, Prince Adin's face appears on the other side.

- ... We regret the tragedy that occurred in recent days, the church of the sun is of great importance to the empire, that's why we ...

- Do it now Raon-nim.

The image of Adin disappeared from the device and a frightening scenario was replaced that will remain as nightmares of those who watch unsuspecting.

Bodies stacked by the dozens in a gloomy unknown place, those who were able to look long enough noticed that above them, in what appears to be a glass window, a man is capable of smiling, prince Adin was enjoying a glass of wine. 

- If Cale Henituse is really a hero as the white star claims, he will probably give himself up and we will get rid of him. Later it will be a easy war; we need more sacrifices for the new golems.

Is this true? Does this place exist? Why is Prince Adin there? Will there be a war? Hundreds of questions passed through the minds of the leaders of the kingdoms and other spectators who watched the recording in disbelief.

- We have successfully achieved our goal.

- Crown prince, my human will be very happy.

- Now we just have to wait for him at the agreed place.

On the other hand, in one of the cells of the palace, Mueller has removed Cale's chains and is researching the place in his rat form to later open the cell without risk of being captured.

- There are only two guards near here, but one of the main exits is heavily guarded, I have used the paralyzing poison that you gave me on those two guards.

- In that case we will proceed as planned and use the teleportation scrolls.

- Yes sir, I will find the mana distortion tools.

- I hide in the deepest part of the dungeon, there must be many cells or tunnels that will give me time if someone discovers me.

Once the cell is opened, Cale heads to the lower part of the place, when Mueller succeeds a special device that he carries in his pocket he will give him the signal of mana.

"This place is creepy "

After wandering around looking for a hiding place, Cale discovers a waterpit on the lower floor. It seems like a good place, but it looks so scary that Cale prefers to keep looking, however, he observes that it is sealed with a wooden cover.

"A monster is not going to come out of there, is it?"

With his sealed powers he has no desire to start a fight with an unknown creature. Just to be safe, he walks up to the pit, hears nothing, so he moves the cover just a little to see inside, he'll go somewhere else if he notices anything dangerous.

In the dark, he can see a figure in the depths, it does not seem dangerous. Cale is curious and looks closely, then is shocked.

“Is it really the half-blood dragon? Why is he here?”

The person at the bottom of the well, the half-blood dragon. Cale notices shackles on his feet and a mana-restricting collar on his neck.

"I do not like this"

Cale removes the wooden deck and cautiously goes down. Luckily for him it is not too deep, there is no water there either, only dampness. Cale frowns as he looks at the half-blood dragon closely, he is covered in small wounds and looks extremely skinny to the point where his bones are marked, his face is swollen and his lips are chapped.

Sensing a presence, the half-blood dragon tries to open his heavy eyelids, with his blurred vision he manages to appreciate the red locks.

- Father, will you have mercy on me giving me a quick death? Or have you come to extend my pain?

Cale frowns again and responds with slight annoyance.

- You must not call father to the bastard who did this to you.

The half-blood dragon realizes his mistake by mistaking his father for this stranger.

- Who are you?

- My name is Cale Henituse, if you remember the attack in the capital of Roan you probably know who I am.

- You?! Cale Henituse, for you! ... for you I have been sentenced!

With what little strength he has left, the half-blood dragon becomes angry and speaks harshly.

-He told me that for you I would betray him, ha!, he said that I would join you in the future, that's why I have been abandoned to die here, in this darkness that I despise so much!

Without responding, Cale crouches next to the chains and taking a sharp rock begins to beat it.

- What are you doing? get out!

- Then, will you die? Will you do it just like he says? Have you lived so many years for such a pathetic death?

- What do you know? It is not something you can understand.

- It's true, I don't understand it and I don't want to. I do it because is my wish, not because I understands you.

Cale continues hammering the chains with the rock, the dragon stares at him without understanding.

- Do you know how many crimes I have committed?

- And, how will you pay for what you have done if you die? if so, you have to make up for the damage you did. You cannot die here.

Over and over the hammering sound echoes in the deep cave, how many blows has it been? When is he going to stop? the half-blood dragon questions himself and lifts his battered face with puffy lids to look at the red-haired man who punches and punches incessantly.

In all his long life, it was the first time the half-blood dragon had heard someone tell him to live. He, who lived by the will of his liege, never received a compliment, a word of concern, much less a thank you, on the contrary, like an animal that has lost its purpose, has been thrown aside to die in solitude.

But this person tells you to live, for what reason? Is there merit in his existence? an imperfect being like him. The constant and desperate sound of the tapping makes an unknown feeling move in his chest, the battered hands that refuse to leave him and the voice that keeps telling him not to give up, give a piece of peace to his troubled soul.

The half-blood dragon remembers the decades he was locked in that cold and dark cave, in the infinite darkness only the longing to feel a warm ray of light kept him alive and it was that desire that formed his attribute, is that moment his only happy memory.

- Why do you do it?

- Do I need a reason to do it?

- Is it because you're a hero?

- I'm not a Hero, I already told you, it's just something I want to do.

Maybe he was wrong his whole life? the half-blood dragon observes Cale's figure that not even this gloomy place is capable of overshadowing. Red, the warm light that he always wanted to know, is it red? The only one capable of reducing years of pain and loneliness, of mitigating his sadness.

The half-blood dragon laughs wryly, being able to find what he has longed for so long when he is at death's door, and although he has given up the desire to go on living, he is curious.

Like the dog that has been chained all its life to the mercy of abuse and now clings to the loving hand of the stranger who caresses its head. He too wants to hold onto this hand that comforts his shattered heart with actions. This feeling, though undeserved, if it could be the last thing he feels before he dies, he would be satisfied.