Chapter 24: We will not forget

Toonka approached Cale before the last of the golems was destroyed and saw him coughing mouthfuls of blood as his legs and hands trembled, then Toonka remembered that the incredible person in front of him was really a nobleman with fragile body.

Cale was on the verge of collapsing then Toonka supported him and then carried him into his powerful arms. Covered in blood Cale looks Toonka in the eye and says.

- Do you know what to do?

For a moment Toonka was speechless, Cale, who was a disaster and couldn't stop trembling, had intense eyes that resembled the fire that had not yet been extinguished.

- Of course.

Cale falls unconscious in Toonka's arms who speaks a few words to his men.

- The fire that consumed these evil giants has lit our hearts; we will fight for our ideals!

A new battle began, but before that Toonka made sure to personally take Cale to a safe place where he could recover.

Commander Toonka was a man who measured someone's value by his strength, so even though Cale seemed an interesting guy, he didn't pay much attention to him due to his weak appearance, however, Cale has taught him one of the most valuable lessons of his life, The real strength of a person is found within them, if you have a strong will even with a weak body you can create true miracles.

That night, Cale woke up in the best place in the non-wizard faction, with Toonka sitting by his bedside guarding him. The cats and the invisible dragon were at his side too.

- You woke up! How you feel? I have called the best doctor we have for our warriors, although they did not find anything strange, I regret not being able to attend you properly.

- "Human, since you woke up, I won't have to tear this place apart"

Miaaauuu

Cale who was just waking up was immediately greeted by Toonka's worried face and Raon's claims, something that gave him chills.

- I am hungry.

- Uh? Do you want something in special?

- Meat, I just want a piece of meat and don't talk to me like that, the formal tone doesn't suit you.

Toonka was speaking to Cale in a respectful tone that seemed somehow forced due to his outrageous personality, something that annoyed him. Toonka felt a bit ashamed and scratched his cheek awkwardly with an ugly smile.

- I am not a man of elegant words, but I really wanted to show my respect to the person who helped free us from the tyranny and cruelty that has subjected us for so many years.

- You don't have to do it because I didn't do it for you or your people, I already mentioned it before, your war is not my business.

- That...

- Just give me something to eat.

- Su-sure.

Toonka left immediately and in minutes brought a plate with good quality meat and salad, for a camp meal it shows that they had put a lot of effort into its preparation.

- Here you have.

Due to the deep hunger and desire to consume meat from the use of his powers, Cale forgot his manners and took a piece of meat with his hand, something that surprised Toonka and was misunderstood as an act of generosity by Cale in trying to imitate them to make him feel more comfortable, as well as to show him that he did not consider himself superior because of his noble position, that and the fact that Cale gave little importance to his rough way of speaking.

- Buahahahaha you really are an extraordinary person.

Cale didn't understand what Toonka meant, but he was glad that he was back to being the same annoying and noisy guy as ever. After finishing eating, Toonka addressed Cale with a serious tone.

- The magic tower is ours, but there is something I must tell you.

Cale had a bad feeling.

- To fight the remaining magicians, we entered that terrible place that has claimed so many human lives, but upon entering we discovered that all the magicians were already dead.

- Dead?

- They were killed with dead mana, the whole place is full of it, some of my men unfortunately died too.

These statements made no sense, if they were all dead then what was the golems protecting, did the wizards not ally themselves with the empire or was it that the empire betrayed them? Cale was just sure of something; it was the work of the white star.

- I intended to repay your help by giving you the magic tower, but now it has become very dangerous, destroying it is also risky.

There was anger and disappointment in Toonka's expression, the magic tower was the symbol of the suffering of his people, at some point they had to destroy it, that was his agreement in the other timeline. But if it was full of dead mana was another story, destroying it could mean that the dangerous substance could spread.

- Our deal still stands; I'll buy the magic tower.

- Although I am a man with little brain and bad at negotiating, I would not fall so low as to scam our benefactor. I am a warrior not a bandit.

Toonka was vehement in expressing his intentions not to do anything that could harm Cale.

- Didn't you give me your word? You've told me everything you know, why should you worry?

Cale couldn't convince Toonka who was looking confused.

- You see, I'm not a good person, I'm actually a capricious man who does whatever he wants, that's why I'm called trash.

- Trash?

For Toonka it was unthinkable to call this good man who needlessly has come from distant lands to help the people of another kingdom, and has hurt himself in the process.

- Why do you hesitate? The destruction of the golems has nothing to do with you. Are you not short of supplies?

- But-

- I am a rich and proud man, tell me its price I will pay it.

Without any choice Cale throws the golden plate at Toonka's feet, if it was someone else this would have been a contemptuous and very rude gesture, however, since it was Cale, Toonka was deeply moved. To him, Cale not only posed as trash to mitigate the favor owed by Toonka, he also acted like an unruly nobleman to purchase the magic tower.

- I'll talk to Chief Harol.

Toonka to go out in search of Harol but before going through the exit and turning his back on Cale, he says one last thing to him.

- Thanks. We will never forget what you have done for our Kingdom.

- I do not know what are you talking about.

-----

That same night when the others sleep, with the help of Raon and the cats, Cale sneaks into the magic tower with extreme care. Ever since he learned about the dead mana Cale has been worried about Mueller, the bloody half-breed of the rat tribe and the dwarves. Luckily for both of them, Cale found Mueller in the same spot as before which he was crying like a small child, but he didn't seem hurt or at risk of death.

After saving Mueller, the group explored the tower thanks to Raon's protection magic that isolated them from dead mana and levitation magic.

In the last room, the tower lord's place, Cale couldn't help but feel a strong chill, said place was intact, there were no traces of dead mana or anything suspicious, but there was a communication device in the center which was not strange considering they were in the magic tower, then the device turned on by itself.

- How predictable Cale Henituse, no, should I call you worlds traveler?