Chapter 47

The Rager

Klaus and Lola have been on the road for a couple hours on their way to Chicago when Klaus gets a phone call that makes him turn around and head straight back to Mystic Falls.

Lola wakes up shortly after, she narrows her eyes at the signs that say they are close to Virginia, "Where are we going?"

"Back to Mystic Falls." Klaus responds without moving his gaze from the road ahead.

Lola sits up properly in shock, "We're going back? Why the hell are we going back?"

"There's a vampire hunter in town."

Lola laughs nervously, "Okay so run me through why we are going back to a town where there's a vampire hunter?" Klaus doesn't respond, "Stop the car." Klaus continues to ignore Lola so she raises her voice, "Stop the car!"

Klaus slams down the breaks, pulling the car to the side of the road. Lola immediately gets out of the car but it fully comes to a halt and begins walking in the opposite direction.

Klaus rolls his eyes as he walks in the same direction, "Lola, get back in the car!"

"What happened to our fresh start?" Lola snaps as she turns to face Klaus who is standing a few feet away, "Why are we going back to a town where we are both so miserable?"

Lola turns to continue walking away but Klaus rushes in front of her, blocking her from doing so, "You don't understand, this vampire hunter isn't like the amateur human Alaric Saltzman vampire hunter. He tried to kill Tyler in the middle of the funeral for all the council."

Lola frowns at his words, "Why do you suddenly care about Tyler's life?"

"I don't." Klaus bluntly responds, "But I can't make any more hybrids, they're a dying breed."

"I thought you didn't care about making hybrids anymore?"

"I promise you, once this has all been dealt with we will leave and never go back."

"You said something along those line last time and look what happened."

Klaus notices the hesitation in Lola's voice, he places his hands on either side of Lola's face making her look up at him, "Nothing like that is going to happen again, do you understand?"

Lola moves Klaus' hands away from her and she starts to walk back towards the car, "We'll see about that."

----------------------------------------------

Once Tyler is discharged from the hospital, Carol takes him back home. As Tyler walks in he notices two men standing in the foyer. He narrows his eyes to them both, "Who the hell are you two?"

"Tyler, it's okay." Carol assures her son, "They're here for your protection."

Tyler glares at his mother, "More deputies?" He says in an incredulous manner.

"Not exactly." Klaus says as he, Lola and another hybrid appear from a different room.

Tyler sighs as he rolls his eyes, "They're hybrids."

"I was halfway to Chicago when I heard you were attacked." Klaus says in an unamused tone, "I had hoped to leave Mystic Falls for good, but duty calls."