Chapter 19

Klaus

LOLA POV:

Flashback, 1887:

It's been a few months since I've been going round the country on my own. Ever since Dominic broke my heart all those months ago, never giving me an actual explanation, just getting Damon to tell me he left and isn't coming back. I've just needed to be on my own.

Damon and I had been with each other since we turned, but I just needed to create a bit of space between us. I wanted to find myself and I knew I had to do that without him. Damon did not like that one bit. In fact, I haven't spoken to him since I left him in New York. Little did I know the next time I would see him would not be until 1919.

The next stop on my list was New Orleans. I've heard stories of all the supernatural beings in New Orleans and I guess you could say curiosity got the better of me. It's a beautiful city, everyone just seems so free here and that's exactly how I need to be.

I found myself walking down the French Quarter, admiring all the recently new architecture. As I continue walking, I'm in search for a fresh snack. I hadn't fed in a while so it was well overdue. There are poor people, but that's not my style. I tend to feed on people who look down on others, thinking they are better because they have a few pennies in their pocket, those who treat people unfairly for no reason.

It's then that I spot my next victim, amongst a crowd that is congregating in the Quarter is a man, I would say mid 50s, upper class. As I walk further into the crowd, I see that man beating a defenceless young boy who looks no older than 12.

"All you witnesses are here to see what happens to thieves." The man proudly shouts out as he walks around the crowd smiling.

"Please, don't hurt me! I just needed food." The young boy crouched down on the floor pleads.

The man picks up the young boy by his shirt, lifting him up off the floor, "The world needs less of the likes of you, pathetic little orphans who think they can steal from me!" The man screams in the boy's face, he throws him back down onto the floor and starts to beat him with a cane.

The crowd soon disperses, just leaving me standing there watching the man. The young boy is curled up in a ball on the ground, trembling. The man looks up at me and laughs, "You here to watch me finish the job?"

I smile innocently at the man, "Not exactly." I flash my vampire features, the man's face turns white and he is now the one who looks terrified.

I vamp speed over to him and pin him against the wall in the alley by his neck.

"What kind of demon are you?" He spits out struggling to breathe in my hold.

"The best kind of demon there is." I say smirking at him, "The kind of demon that puts an end to people like you." My teeth pierce into his neck, draining him of all his blood.

I drop him onto the floor once he is dead. I look over to the young boy who is now looking at me in fear, "Please don't hurt me."

I kneel before the young boy and smile, "Don't worry, I'm not going to hurt you. Here." I bite into my wrist to heal him.