Chapter 44

The Departed

FLASHBACK, NEW ORLEANS - 1919

"Lola, trust me when I say you have absolutely nothing to worry about when it comes to Klaus." Marcellus explains to his friend as they walk along the streets of New Orleans, "He absolutely adores you, I'm pretty sure he would die before he chooses anyone over you." He laughs, "I would go as far to say he would probably get himself killed if it meant he was protecting you and you know he isn't like that for anyone."

But Marcel's kind words weren't really for Klaus, after all, he's refusing Marcel to be with the woman he loves: Rebekah. No, the words were there to comfort his dear friend, Lola, who's always been there for him since she arrived in the city.

Marcellus brought Lola out for a walk on this sunny afternoon after she had an altercation with Klaus. Lola sighs as she plays with a part of her dress, "I know that. But I just see the way that red headed witch looks at him and she is practically undressing him. It's infuriating."

"That Genevieve has been like that with every man she's came across. I promise you that you have nothing to worry about." Marcellus assures her.

Lola grins in his direction as they continue to walk, she links his arm, "Have I ever told you how much I appreciate you, Marcellus. If you weren't apart of this family we would have probably killed each other."

Anxiety rushes through him as he thinks about what he and Rebekah had done the night previous, something that was going to change this family, forever.

Marcellus clears his throat as he picks up the pace now the compound is coming back into view. He notices Lola doesn't follow, he turns to see her staying in the same spot, "Are you coming?"

Lola's famous warm and bright smile appears on her face, a glimmer in eye that she has an idea brewing, "I'll catch up with you. I need to get an apology gift for Nik."

Lola continues down the street to then arrive at a stall in the market that sells unique paints. There are only a few colours that Klaus has not been able to add to his collection of many. Which is why Lola is taken aback when she spots one of the most rare colours that Klaus has been searching for, glaucous. Not too light to be considered pale blue and not too dark to be considered navy, it's fits right in the middle. The most beautiful blue.

Without hesitation, Lola buys the pot of paint and heads back to the compound with a spring in her step. As she looks up and looks through the crowd she notices a familiar face, a face she hasn't came across for 33 years, Damon.

The smile on her face grows even wider as she rushes through the crowd and pulls Damon in for a long hug, "Damon! You're here!" She pulls away from the hug to see her older brother smiling back down at her, "You're actually here."

"I'm here." Damon repeats, "It's good to see you, little sister."

Lola pulls Damon in for another hug, worried if she lets go this will all just be a dream, "I can't believe you're actually here." She pulls away once more, then taking hold of his hand as they walk through the crowds, "You finally found me, then? You must meet everyone here!"

Damon pulls Lola's hand back as he comes to a halt, making Lola come to a halt. She turns to look at him confused as guilt begins to wash all over his, "I didn't actually come here to find you." Lola's face drops, as does her hand from his. Making Damon step closer to her starting to panic, "But this worked in our favour!"

Lola narrows her eyes at her brother, "So what are you doing here?"

"I heard there are witches here that can help with our situation with Katherine." Damon explains, making Lola scoff, "We can finally free her from the tomb, Lola!"