Chapter 29

Ghost World

Flashback - 1883:

September 25th 1883. It's been 19 years today since I became who I am; a vampire. To say I have handled it well would be an understatement, I've handled it poorly. I've tried to comfort Damon after he lost Katherine but it's proven difficult.

I remember Katherine explaining what it was like to be a vampire, she said you felt free and nothing was impossible. But all I felt was trapped. On the outside I would look fine in front of Damon, but on the inside I was screaming and wanting to end it all as a mean of escape.

I've never felt so alone before, yes I have Damon by my side but he isn't the same older brother I grew up with, this Damon was so sad. So heartbroken. Trying to get over losing the love of his life. Also trying to get over the betrayal we had got from our younger brother, Stefan. Forcing us to both turn, killing our father. Not that neither of us particularly cared for the man after he treated us both but still.

I can tell that it hurts Damon that we aren't speaking to Stefan nor have we seen him since 1864. I left straight after we found Stefan crouched over our father's dead body, I was in shock. My sweet and innocent little brother was no longer sweet and innocent. Damon left not long after I did and found me in Georgia which is where we have been since.

I've spent the last 19 years hating who I am and tonight it's time to end it all. Damon & I have been at the Marshall's plantation whom we made acquaintances with and who would invite us to every soirée they would host. When Damon was busy speaking to the head of the household, Issac Marshall, I made my swift exit.

I should feel guilty for leaving Damon and ending my life, leaving him alone but all I can think of is ending it. Nothing else matters right now. I hate who I am and nothing will change that.

I arrive at a deserted park, it's almost dawn. I rush through the park using my vampire speed, not realising I rushed straight past a young gentleman laid on a park bench.

Trying to catch my breath between my sobs, I look down to my shaky hand where my daylight ring is, ready to take it off and throw it into the pond once the sun comes up.

I close my eyes and take deep breaths to work myself up to ripping it off when a voice comes up behind me, "You don't wanna do that."

I turn around in shock with tears streaming down my face. I frown in confusion at the man, "Who are you? Go away." I turn to face the pond once more.

The man clears his throat as he takes a few steps closer, "Come on, I promise you, you don't want to do this."

I glare at him, "And what makes you think you know what I'm going to do?"

He puts his hands in his pockets and shrugs, "I know that's your daylight ring and as soon as the sun comes up you're going to throw it into the pond over there."

I frown in confusion, "How do you-"

"Know that you're a vampire?" The man finishes my sentence, "I'm just like you and I know what that look in your eyes means. It means you're not doing so great with it all. I've been where you've been and I also know that it would be the biggest mistake you would ever make."