Chapter 35

Bringing Out the Dead

A lot has changed over the years, however, there are a few things that never seem to change.

One is hearing laughter. An other is seeing people happy, cherishing moment with each other not knowing how long they've got left. Children running around as happy as can be without a care in the world.

That's all I can see around me as I sit in the middle of the town square, a warm coffee in my hands. People watching is one thing I'll never get tired of, playing a game with myself to guess things about their lives.

90% of the time I do love who I am, I do love being a vampire, the feeling of being able to do anything that I want, feeling as though I'm on top of the world. But there are times where that 10% of unhappiness creeps in and its especially watching other people live the lives I've always wanted.

To be happy with the man I love, to have a happy family who aren't trying to kill each other or anyone for that matter...to have a family of my own. Maybe just once have one day where I'm not stuck in the middle of drama.

Staring further into the crowd I realise that my last point is definitely not happening today. My heart stops for a moment when my eyes meet a familiar pair of eyes. Without even thinking, I rush over to them and pull them into a hug, sighing with relief when hearing a soft chuckle. I mimic the same chuckle, "This is a terrible hug."

"Well that's what happens when one has just woken up from a dagger slumber as you used to call it."

I pull away from the hug to have Elijah looking down at me with his classic 'older brother' look on his face, "You're not still mad about that? I went to go and take the dagger out of you but then Klaus stabbed Stefan."

Elijah nods, he places a hand on my shoulder, directing me on where he wants to walk, "We have some things to discuss."

"Here we go, am I going to be getting an Elijah Mikaelson lecture?"

Elijah sighs, "Not exactly, however, I must tell you that I have spoken to Damon today." We both reach my parked car, Elijah fixes his suit jacket and looks over to me, "Are you driving? Or shall I?"

I furrow my brows, narrowing my eyes at him, "Is this the part where you kidnap me?"

Elijah soon grows tired of me childish behaviour, he sighs, "Charlotte, would you just please get in the car."

I cross my arms against my chest, "Not until you tell me what this is about."

"Niklaus wants to destroy Stefan and your brothers want to destroy Niklaus." Elijah responds bluntly.

I open my mouth to say something back, but clamp it shut. I grab my keys out of my pocket and throw them over to Elijah, "You can drive."

Elijah catches the keys and we both get into the car. Elijah drives for a few minutes before either of us speak. I decide to be the one to start it off, "So are you going to tell me where you're taking me?" Elijah doesn't respond, "Or which brother you're siding with, yours or mine?" Elijah still remains silent, "I'm just having a conversation with myself again...oddly enough that seems like the normal thing lately."

I flick the radio on when Queen - Another One Bites the Dust comes on, Elijah releases a fed up sigh, knowing it's impossible for me to stay in silence and also that he doesn't particularly favour this rock band which makes this even more fun for me.

I start tapping along to the music against my lap, Elijah growing impatient towards me shuts the radio off, "Stop that."

I scoff, removing my eyes from the window over to Elijah, "Wow, he speaks!" But that was the only two words Elijah would say, silence flooding the car once more.