Chapter- (501) Which kind of worship is the best?

(501)

Which kind of worship, Sagun Sakar or Nirgun Nirakar Swaroop of Brahm; is the best?

Shri Krishna explained to Arjun about Karma Yoga Sanyas and Gyan yoga Sanyas that can be followed by a person whether he remains in Sansar or he abandons the home and roams as Sanyasi in jungles, mountains and in the coldest hemisphere, how he could he attain Yoga completely means be a –YOGARUTHA YOGI in terms of BHAGAVAD GITA anywhere and in any situation and in any VARNASHRAM? Now Arjun is confused; what should he follow whether he should be a Sanyasi or live in a Sansar? And he asked Shri Krishna, you have talked about Sakar and Nirakar worship of Paramatma. I am a little bit confused now tell me what should I do? Whom should I follow? Tell me only one thing, what should I do, standing on the war field of Kurukshetra at this moment? What is the best decision for me? Tell me.

A nice incident should be recalled here.

Shankaracharji says;

ब्रह्मैवाहमिदं जगच्च सकलं चिन्मात्रविस्तारितं

सर्वं चैतदविधया त्रिदुणयाशेषं मयाकल्पितम् ।

इत्थं यस्य द्रढा मतिः सुखतरे नित्ये परे निर्मिले

चाण्डालोङ्तु स तु द्विजोङस्तु गुरुरित्येषा मनीषा मम।।

A nice event of Aadi Shankaracharyaji 's life can well describe the non-duality of omnipresent Paramatma. When he was going towards the bank of river Ganga ji, he saw a CHANDAL-a person belongs to the serving class of society was creating obstruction on his way with four dogs in a narrow street. He tried to adjust and cross the street by moving here and there but it seems that the person intentionally did not allow him to cross the street. At that time, Shankar was a small kid and he was disturbed due to hurdles created by the person known as Chandal by caste.

It was a dark age of superstition and religious chaos everywhere and he was not allowed to touch the person providing services like butcher or cleaning toilets when he has to go for his religious rituals. Hence he said, O man why are you not giving way to me and creating hurdles, move aside. The Chandal told him that O Sanyasi! You are going to preach non-duality to the world and where could I go when Paramatma is omnipresent in every particle of the sand? How could you preach to people that Paramatma exists in every particle of the universe when you have accepted HIS presence is none but all and in everything? Your obstinacy and thinking that you are Brahmin and I am Chandal; is the main obstacle in your way to spirituality and not I with my four dogs; Child Shankar was stunned and accepted him as a guru. Spontaneously he wrote MANISHA PANKAJAM and accepted that everybody and everything in the universe is a teacher for me and from now onwards and I would learn to see BRAHM in every particle of the universe. And then he preached ADWAITYA VAD which says that; there is no duality between jiv and Shiv –Brahm. Till now I was thinking about the separation of jivatma and Paramatma which was a sign of ignorance. I am thankful as I am also a bundle of Trio-virtues SATVA RAJAS and TAMAS. If my intentions, my karmendriyas and senses are going to act in a way that hurt or harm anybody through my mind, body, and action then I have to consider that I am ignorant and from now onwards, I would consider anybody who is going to preach a lesson as my Guru, whether he is Brahmin or Chandal BY BIRTH. And he considered his idea of Brahma as I am a part of Brahma and the entire universe is an expansion of Paramatma known as ADWAITYAVAD. Listening to this Shiv abandons his Swaroop of Chandal and blessed child Shankar and orders him to write criticism on Brahma Sutra written by Maharishi Vyasji Known as Adwaityavad.