Chapter-(559) Why are we not able to recognize the original Swaroop of Jivatma?

(559)

Why are we not able to recognize the original Swaroop of Jivatma?

Kathopanishad says that we cannot understand the original Swaroop of Jivatma -as a part of Paramatma because we understand everything with our Gyanendriyas and the eternal Brahm has given us eyes to look outside in the world, not inside our body.

पराञ्चि स्वानि व्यतृणत्स्वयंभूस्तस्मात्पराङ् पश्यति नान्तरात्मन्।

कश्र्चिद्धीरः प्रत्यगात्मानमैक्षदावृत्तचक्षुरमृतत्वमिच्छन्।।

We see with our eyes the outer world but we do not see Paramatma is dwelling in our heart inside our body. While a Sadhak who is awaken and longs for liberation would turn his mind from the outer world to see Paramatma inside as PRATYAGATMA. The word Pratagyatma made by two words PRATYAK – means all the subjects and ATMA -the soul. He knows Atma is existing in his body and he is enjoying everything with the given body in different yonis , he accepts and rejects whatever he likes or dislikes, enjoys and entertains his senses , feels happiness through organs and it exists awaken all the time during day and night. So, it is known as Atma-the soul witness of all our Karma under the influence of trio virtues with trio bodies known as Sthul, Sukshm and Karan Sharir in all the three position of body as JAGRUTI, NINDRA -dream and SUSHUPTI. While only idiots roam after enjoyment through perishable things and roams in the cycle of birth and death. A wise never desires worldly pleasure against the elixir of life known as liberation.

यच्चाप्नोति यदादत्ते तच्चात्ति विषयानिह।

यच्चास्य संततो भावस्तस्मादात्मेति कीर्त्यते।। (लिंग पुराण १-७-९६)

A wise knows that who attains all the Bhog, accepts them and seems to enjoy; is existed within this body 24*7*365 days and night as witness and so he is known as ATMA. A wise knows that whatever he sees here in this perishable world is really existed in Paramatma's abode and Paramatma is a complete form-the ultimate source of universe is there, but he sees him in a part and particles with his physical eyes in this world. A knowledgeable person knows that he will attain Paramatma only after his death and whatever he sees on this stage of Sansar during his life time is, the manifestations of Paramatma's multiple forms and whoever knows this Par Brahm becomes Brahm himself. As it is said in Mundakopanishad

स यो ह वै तत्परं ब्रह्म वेद ब्रह्मैव भवति।। (मु.उप.३-२-९)

All the yonis of Devta, Human beings, birds, animals -creatures. Bhut Pret are Bhog yonis and because of the ignorance own real Swaroop, they roam in the cycle of birth, death, diseases and old age .So, Kenopanishad says that one could know his self-soul in this human birth only so that his human birth becomes worthy for salvation. If a person cannot know his own Swaroop as a part of Paramatma when he is alive, he has to suffer a great loss. So, a wise tries to know his Swaroop as a part of eternal Brahm.

इह चेदवेदीदथ सत्यमस्ति न चेदिहावेदीन्महती विनष्टिः।

भूतेषु भूतेषु विचित्य धीराः प्रेत्यास्माल्लोकादमृता भवन्ति ।।(केनोपनिषद-५)

So, the wise see Paramatma in every living and non-living and attain liberation.

As we have discussed in the previous chapter five Gyanendriyas are connected with our five Karmendriyas with Satva Rajas and Tamas virtues; Sky element-SHROTRA is related with speech so we speak words, Fire element with eyes, legs and Roop earth element with-nostrils, Guda and smell, Vayu element with skin, hands and touch, water element-with tongue, Upastha and RAS .Hence, if a child is deaf since birth, he is not able to speak and remain dumb too. If we have control over Gyanendriyas we can control our Karmendriyas too because if we have control over our eyes we would not use our legs to see the fascinating beauty or run after that PADARTH. If we have control over tongue, we can control our taste buds and diet, do not eat anything just to satisfy our taste buds and Upastha remain under control automatically from all the kinds of Vikars and in the same way GHRANENDRIYA nostril should be control and we should not feel attraction to scents and smell of various Padarth to have control over our Guda. Trio virtues are seen in various forms of Panch Mahabhut. Our mind and intellect are created by Satva virtue, Pran with Rajas virtue and body with Tamas virtues. Paramatma has given birth in human body to make effort for salvation. But we waste our life in the entertainment of senses.

Bhatruhari in his VAIRAGYASHATAK says that we do not entertain or senses with different Padarth but these Padarth use and destroy our body and life. We do not perform penance but we became a burning object. Time is not passing our life time is spent and desires never become old we are moving towards old age and death and wasting our life in entertaining our senses.

भोगा न भुक्ता वयमेव भुक्तास्तपो न तप्तं वयमेव तप्ताः।

कालो न यातो वयमेवयातास्तृष्णा नजीर्णा वयमेव जीर्णाः।(वैराग्य शतक)

Time is not passing our life is passing. We are given a fixed life span with limited breath and every moment we are using our fixed capital in unproductive senseless activities to fulfill our never-ending desires. These desires would never end even after death they become the cause of rebirth. They remain with us along with our mind, intellect, Chit and ego in the next birth. But our body grows and develops and ends with old age and death with never ending attachments and never-ending desires and remain attached to everything even after the death of a human body. As a rule of Economics, we know that desires once fulfilled turn to the next desire as they are never ending phenomena of our greed to get more and more of everything. With completion of one desire we want another thing to satisfy our greedy needs and we look forward to its fulfillment, make efforts to attain those things one after the another.

न जातु कामः कामानमुपभोगेन शाम्यति।

हविषा कृष्णवर्त्मेव भूय एवाभिवर्धते।।(मनु )

When we try to satisfy our senses with perishable goods, we feel Satisfaction only for a little period of time. After getting the desired thing, its value decreases and our monkey mind desires another thing. If palaces, gardens and lots of jewelry, property could satisfy a person then all the millowners and Billionaires are the happiest community in the world. But as we know, nobody is happy in this Sansar forever. A time comes in everybody's life when he is getting tired of perishable things and want to feel peace of mind and eternal ecstasy but because he has no practice of worshipping Paramatma, no habit of controlling his monkey mind or ever demanding senses, he roams in the cycle of birth and death out of ignorance of his own Swaroop.

In our Shastras listening to Vedas and Shastras are considered as the most important practice to divert mind from Sansar to Parmeshwar Paramatma.

ओम भद्रेभिःश्रृणुयाम् देवः। भद्रं पश्येमक्षभिर्यजत्राः।

स्थिरैरङ्गास्तुस्तुवास्टिकेन्सस्तनुभिः। विशेषेम देवहितं यदायुः।।

According to Vedic Prayer we Pray God to see and hear only from all the ten directions of the universe. Our Shravanendriya- ears gives us knowledge in two ways when we listen to Vedas and Shastras we get indirect knowledge of words and direct knowledge of the subject we read. Gyan Marg and bhakti Marg both put emphasis on listening to Vedas and holy scriptures, Bhajans and speeches of Saints. Though, when we read Vedas with the help of our eyes, eyes become a source of knowledge by reading but reading depends on the knowledge of words of language and its alphabets' written recognition. Further, when we learn from Guru, listens to him attentively, we know words with meaning as Guru explains and comments with his own spiritual experience and vast knowledge. Hence, the speech of Guru gives us more powerful understanding than reading texts. Therefore, even in the field of education listening is the first condition of studying any subject and acquiring knowledge. Then let us now understand who can understand the Swaroop of Paramatma and how? From our great God and Jagat Guru Shri Krishna Om tat Sat...Shri Krishnarpanmastu....