(559) What is the difference between Mahatma- a pure soul and Duratma-a bad per

मनस्येकं वचस्येकं कर्मंण्येकं महात्मनाम्।
मनस्यन्यद् वचस्यन्यत् कर्मण्यन्यद् दुरात्मनाम्।।
The main difference in the character of a Mahatma and a Duratma is that Mahatma's  intensions behind the speech ,deeds and thoughts are the same while Duratma thinks about something ,speaks about the other things and does totally different activities to what he speaks or thinks in open. So, he is not a reliable person. Mahatma has Daivi Virtues full of Satva. They are full of good habits which develop their character as Mahatma. Mahatma follows non-violence, speaks truth, never be angry ,free from the attachments of senses, abandons  all the worldly desires ,have no envy and jealousy for anybody. They never speak ills of others. They are kind and full of mercy for all Jivatmas. They are not influenced by subjects of Sansar. Their hearts are very tender. They feel shame while something wrong is done by them unknowingly and they are not smart in the sense that they cannot hide their mistakes and put allegations on others. They are not a greedy and selfish persons. They are pure and pious in their thoughts, speech and deeds.
प्रलये भिन्न मर्यादा बवन्ति किल सागराः।
सागराः भेदमिच्छन्ति प्रलयेङपि न साधवः।।
Generally, ocean is considered as an ideal icon in representing self control over own strength and to be in limits. As we know our earth is surrounded by three fourth of ocean, the water element. If ocean breaks his limits and swept over the earth, earth would be drawn into water in no time. Acharya Chanakya in his Niti Shastra says that ; though various rivers come  and meet the ocean ,ocean never overflows or puffed up in pride or try to absorb earth but when the time of disaster comes ,ocean too absorbs the earth but Mahatmas' are greater than the ocean as they never abandon their goodness and limits in times of disasters. Even in the disastrous situation the Mahatmas  will not abandon their  Dharma and they never act on whims and fancies of thoughts. If they provide protection to a needy ,they would sacrifice their own lives but they would protect the person who is under their shelter. As Karna-the son of kunti and  Lord Sun blessed with armor and ear-rings as a shield for his life span and body gave to Lord Indra in alms to fulfil his pledge of serving the needy and giving them alms after worshipping the Sun every morning. In the same way king Shibi sacrifices his flesh to feed hungry vulture God who comes to test his devotion to Paramatma and his truthfulness in fulfilling his pledge. Rishi Dadhichi sacrifices his bones to help Gods and save them from Asuras. While the sun of Bhim Babruvahan sacrifices his life as Bali for the Yagna before the war of Mahabharat on the war field of Kurukshetra.

कर्णस्त्वचं शिबिर्माँसं जीवं जीबूतवाहनः।

ददौ दधीचिरस्थीनि नास्त्त्यदेयं महात्मान्।।

It shows that Mahatma sacrifices everything for the welfare of others.

When you see  Mahatmas, you would feel peace of mind  and pure cool joy in his company because their influence is so positive and pure that it would not allow any negativity in the person who lives in their company. If any Duratma lives in the company of  Saints ,he would be pure and pious and all his negativity would be reduced day by day. Mahatma would not become Duratma in the company of bad people just like a tree of sandalwood enveloped by  poisonous cobra and serpents never abandons his fascinating smell or becomes poisonous like hem . 

सत्सङ्गाद् भवति ही साधुता खलानाम् साधूनां नैव खलसङ्गतः खलत्वम्।

आमोदं कुसुमभवं मृदेव धत्ते मृदगन्धं न हि कुसुमानि धारयन्ति।।

In the same way, a lotus grows in the muddy water never takes dirt of muddy water but remains detached from mud and becomes a seat of mother Laxmiji –the goddesses of wealth Mahatma never give up their Satvik virtues.
Though ,we all are born of the same father Paramatma  and Rishi Munis ,we know that no twins are similar in their nature. Every human being has a different kind of nature, even the brothers and sisters born of the same mother at the same time ,in the same position of constellations and stars in the sky predicting their future are totally different in their nature and behaviour. It may be that one becomes a Mahatma and the other a Duratma. Devtas and Asur are sons of Rishi Kashyap from mothers Diti and Aditi

एकोदर समुद्भूताः एक नक्षत्र जातकाः।

नभवन्ति समाः शीले यथा बदरिकण्टकाः।।

Only because all are human beings ,they cannot be the same in nature because everybody has his previous births karma and history of good and bad deeds. Just like a tree of berries gives us sweet berries and thrones too which are very sharp. So, it is surprising how berry has sweetness and thrones having killing sharpness in nature ,both at her disposal but nature of a person depends on his previous birth's karma 's fruits of his good or bad deeds.

Our Shastras consider talking ills of others a great sinful act among all kinds of sins. APAISHUNAM अपैशुनम्  in Sanskrit means  to talk ills of somebody in public and to harass him and to make efforts in a way that other people will think him as a bad character person. This is done because of envy and jealousy about someone ;when a person cannot tolerate anybody's success or achievements ,prosperity or nice family life which he, himself cannot enjoy ,he would try to defame that person by talking ills about his character. This is a sign of a character of a Duratma. Further, Parmatma has created everything for every living. A man is a greedy and selfish creature among all .He is so greedy that he himself misuses and overuses resources by using his power of brain at the cost of others life but he accumulates and stores things for his next generations while other species use nature only for their survival. Hence, it is said that when a man becomes selfish and never share anything, never does charity or give anything in alms to the needy when he dies , not even the vulture would eat his meat. 

हस्तौ दानविवर्जितौ श्रुतिपुटौ सारस्वतद्रोहिणौ  नेत्रे साधुविलोकेनेन रहितौ पादौ न तीर्थं गतौ।

अन्यायार्जित वित्तपूर्णमुदरं गर्वेण तुङ्गं शिरो रे रे जम्बुक मुच्च मुच्च सहसा निद्यं सुनिद्यं वपुः।।

The above verse  says that when a vulture think to eat a flesh of a dead human body lying in the open field ,the other vulture warns the first one not to eat the flesh of that person because he was a selfish person .He warns  him to abandon it because this person has never given anything in alms ,no food, no clothes ,no shelter ,no gold silver or a piece of land ,no cows or shelter to anybody as he has never listened to Vedas and Shastra ,he had never  welcome any saints .He earns his bread dishonestly and done injustice to all. He had feed his stomach with dishonest and corrupted sources of income and he was full of pride and ego ,puffed up as balloons thinking very high for self -respects and demands self appreciation from others ,kept his head up and high among others showing his fake rudeness in behavior and speech. Don't eat his meat because he has not used any of his karmendriyas or any part of body in serving anybody so his body is infectious with dirt of sins and it should be avoided as food ,He deserves hatred from all.It is better to die of hunger but don't live on eating this sinful body of Duratma . 

It shows that Duratma are merciless and they harass others for no reasons while Mahatma forgives and forgets all the Duratma who tortures them for no reasons like Mahavir and Jesus and they will have no bad feelings for them even in their thoughts and hearts. They have patience and faith in the law of God and his justice so they can be steady inwardly and eligible for salvation.
Then what is the difference between forgiveness and not to be angry on anybody for anything? Let us surrender tour great God and Jagat Guru Lord Shri Krishna to know the right path on which we have to walk....
Om tat Sat ...Shri Krishnarpanmastu..