CH49 - Decisions

Everyone was moving on with their ordinary lives as if nothing had happened. The sky was as clear as it can be while the sun was shining brighter than ever.

On the far way land at Master Genkai's and Yara's temple, the Fire Demon had finally awoken from his deep slumber with difficulty. However, as soon as he was conscious, everything came back to him. The Tunnel, Sensui and the fight he had witnessed, making him think of his partner.

"MIYUK-UGH!!!" Hiei cried out in distress right before the pulsing pain on his side made him grunt out of pain. Right on time the Water-Bender girl came rushing in to make sure the wounded fighter is okay.

"Careful there!" Ruby warned the demon as she rushed over and pulled some of the water from the pool in the middle of the room. "One sudden movement and your wounds might reopen." After she said that she was about to do her duty as a healer, but Hiei grabbed her wrist as fast as lightning and gave her a glare. "HIEI!"

"What on earth do you think you're doing?!" The demon growled under his breath as his crimson red eyes were shooting venomous daggers at the poor girl's frame. "And where am I?!"

"Relax Hiei, you're in the temple's infirmary." Ruby quickly explained before pulling her hands out of the Fire Demon's grip.

"What?" Hiei breathed out with a puzzled look.

"And by the looks of it, we also need to change your bandages." The bender girl continued on before walking up to the shelves and take off a small square basket that is full of bandage rolls.

"Where is Miyuki?" The question almost made Ruby drop the small basket from her hand while the water glove almost splashed onto the wooden floor.

"U-um, she is alright." Replied the healer girl before she walked back over and placed the basket back and with a small slicing motion, she cut the old bandages off of the demon's upper body and expose those injuries to oxygen. "She and the others left just the other day."

"Hn." The Fire Demon scoffed before turning his head aside. Ruby let out a small sigh of relief before she began to work on him. However, when the top of her finger touched his skin, the demon flinched slightly, shudder by the foreigner's touch. The Water-Bender recoiled, scared that she might end up with her head being bitten off by the demon. Hiei shot her a snarl, but he took a deep breath and turned his head away again. "Tsk, just hurry up." He told the girl in a small huff and just continued on sulking to himself.

Ruby's eyes softened up a little at the look on Hiei's face. Sure, his expression was blank as the white canvas, but his eyes, they were telling a different story. They were not the usual hate filled eyes that would want to get rid of everyone on their path. On the contrary they looked really sad. . .

That's how the bender knew he was secretly missing his beloved. . .

"They look better." Ruby informed as she finished examining him. "But in case let's place you into the water." She got up and waited for Hiei to follow her. The Fire Demon reluctantly agreed and let the girl heal him, despite his selfish self-wishing for his Phoenix's healing assistance. But when he thought about that, he somewhat felt also the shivers, like he is on high alert.