Chapter 49: Knowledge at a Grave Price

Inside Jane's mind was a strange place. It was dark at first with the sound of her muffled screams. Castiel almost started to call out for Jane but heard her speak out pain. "This is all my fault! I'm so sorry! I never wanted you to get hurt. You should've never got hurt!" Jane cried out as the black scene behind melted away and turned to a dark alleyway where Jane sat on the ground holding a girl he didn't recognize but Jane knew as her best friend Carmen. Castiel was going to approach her but Pandora appeared behind her.
"This is what will happen when you try to rebel. If you even think of turning against me this human that means so much to you will meet her end and it will be on your head." Stated Pandora coldly as her heels clicked as she walked circles around Jane. Pandora didn't seem to notice Castiel's presence or she was just ignoring it. Suddenly she disappeared in a wisp of demonic smoke and Jane sat there crying holding what she believed to be her dead friend. Castiel no longer felt such a strong demonic presence, now there was only Jane's small spark of a celestial presence so he approached her.
"Jane?" Asked Castiel as he stepped closer hearing his footsteps echo in such a way that was like he was walking through a puddle. Jane didn't hear him so he kept slowly walking closer to her only hearing his footsteps and the sounds of her pain. He was finally close enough to touch her so he placed his hand on her shoulder and knelt down next to her. "Jane this isn't real, it's a dream." Said Castiel softly as the body of her friend faded away and Jane threw herself into his arms.
"BUT IT WILL BE REAL AND IT WILL BE ALL MY FAULT!" She bellowed out in a tone full of tears. She buried her face in the fabric of his trench coat, holding him tightly. Castiel could tell she was terrified and he needed to know why.
"Jane who is the girl you're trying to protect?" Asked Castiel as Jane sniffled and lifted her head.
"Her name is Carmen she's my bestest friend in the whole world but-" She paused and Castiel sighed.
"You love her, don't you?" Asked Castiel as he placed his hand on her back. Jane just nodded as more tears filled her eyes. Castiel knew exactly how she felt because he had been this way with Dean but no one had ever threatened his life in order to make Castiel do what they want. "Do why she threatened Carmen and not one of us?" Asked Castiel as he was curious.
"She said it's because everyone in my family never stay dead but Carmen..." She paused as tears fell from her eyes. "She said Carmen doesn't matter! She's just a pathetic human that only matters to my feelings according to Pandora!" Growled Jane as tears rushed down her face.
"You should've come and told us that she was in danger. We would've helped." Said Castiel softly as not to upset her more.
"Pandora said if I tried to save anyone she threatened to kill then Carmen and anyone else I loved after Carmen would pay the price. She would make sure that my life would be as miserable as possible if I ever tried to do anything she didn't like, that's why I have these." Said Jane with a sniffle as she rolled up the sleeves of her white hoodie revealing healed burns around her wrists and throat that left scars like chains on her body. "Everytime I disobeyed an order she would hurt me really badly but once I got brave and told she could hurt me as badly as she wanted too, I didn't want to be her pet anymore! So she threatened Carmen. She read my thoughts and knew how I felt about Carmen so she knew if anything happened to her I would be devistated." Said Jane as the tears returned as she began thinking about the things that Pandora threatened to do to her. Pandora's voice played in the background saying harsh things. Most were threats to harm her in gruesome ways but each word seemed to hurt Jane's now fragile state of mind. Castiel couldn't stand to see her this way so he used what bit of power that would work on Jane's mind and forced out all thought of Pandora. Though this effect was temporary it should be enough to let Jane get some well needed rest. Once that was done both were ripped from the dream and into the waking world. Castiel stood to check on Dean thinking Jane to be asleep. "Father..." She stated as Castiel was hit by sudden emotion of deep love because Jane had not called him that in what felt like a long time. He turned seeing her sitting up clenching the blanket in her hands holding it tightly to her chest.
"Yes?" He asked with a warm smile.
"Can you sit with me until I fall asleep?" Asked Jane so innocently as she looked into his eyes with her crystal blue eyes filled with tears because she was still afraid to fall asleep.
"Of course." Said Castiel as he walked over and sat down next to her but she had made some room for him to lay next to her so that's what he did. She bundled herself under his trench coat and laid her head on his chest as he wrapped his arm around her shoulders. As she fell asleep Castiel started to drift off to sleep as well. He ended up laying his head back on the head board and falling asleep.